1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking, need ideas to kick it before I get really hooked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I got about a 12-hour day at my desk ahead of me with some of the most tedious, miserable, stressful tasks to do. And my bulged disc is really bothering me, too. If I can get through today without grabbing a pack, I can probably kick this without much more effort.

I think a change in jobs and lifestyle is probably in my future.

Thanks for sharing your experieinces and encouragement. I'm trying.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

exercise, man. If you feel like smoking a butt, go speed walk around the block. Ya never want a cigarette less than when you've gotten your heart racing a little bit. Unless, ya know, ya just horked a big plank of blow. I still smoke when I drink, and that's what got me to cut down -- I gave myself the promise of future satisfaction. Now the taste of a cigarette is nasty when I'm not drinking and honestly makes me queasy. If I could stop drinking, I'd quit smoking altogether, but we're talking 5-10 butts a week tops as is. Cut down, then quit altogether, that'd be my advice.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Might try rubbing one out at work.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I had great success with the patches, even though I didn't exactly follow the program to a T. And I actually smoked at times while wearing it. But it works if you're ready. I have also been seeing this Zonnic gum at the convenience store that you can buy in smaller packs to avoid the expense all at once. I used the store brand patches from Target, and I think they ran about 30 bucks for a two-week supply.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

light up a joint instead. I keep reading how safe marijuana is.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Drink Seltzer. I used to drink soda all the time. My sister drank seltzer. I'd try it and think it was piss. Then worked with a buddy who was in shape, ate mostly the same things I did but didn't drink soda or put sugar in coffee. Thought I couldn't do that, but just decided to do it.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  8. Bradley Guire

I did back-to-back 12-hour and 14-hour shifts. No smokes. Gimme a fuckin cookie.

Big Circus, HC, cranberry and 5 others like this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been trying and failing at this for a long time. Earlier this year I was smoke-free for four months.

Trying again. I have surgery in two weeks. Not supposed to smoke between now and then. Can't smoke during recovery.

I'm four days in so far.

10. Bradley Guire

Been about a month. No smokes. But I'm also down to 40 hours. Had a talk with HR and found out I was never supposed to be salaried. This should put off the burn out.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hell, if you can do a month, you can do forever. Nice job, man.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've quit for several months a number of times, even went a year a couple of times.
    I've always regressed.

Five days in this time. Cravings are unusually persistent considering how little I was smoking going into this. I was only smoking 1-3 per day.
    Been on my mind quite a bit, but suffering through.

Draft saved Draft deleted