1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking, need ideas to kick it before I get really hooked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 17, 2016.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Smoker? Soon you'll have Mike Pence to protect you.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought of that, too, but perhaps we should keep the politics where it belongs?

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

To clarify: Not me in the avatar. It's my favorite lady rassler. She's purty. I'm a 35-year-old fat guy with nice hair.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

Go find your local ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor. Hang out in the waiting room for about an hour. That should do it.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hmm. That reminds me of kindergarten and the teacher holding up a picture/x-Ray of two lungs, and the smoker one looked like a grey shrunken mess compared to the healthy one.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I started smoking in my teens. As a grownup, I smoked about a pack a day (I am guessing it was more than that in my 20s). First time I quit, I made it three years, then started after a job change and move to a new state. Quit again in 2009. Haven't had one since.

I used the patch both times. I do think they helped. I did the entire step series, even when I thought I was OK with quitting.

The second time, I quit after losing 10 pounds. I think getting my mind set into being disciplined about something when I was dieting helped get me mentally ready to quit smoking. It definitely helped that by 2009 very few people I knew smoked and smoking was banned most everywhere. You have to work to find someplace to smoke now.

However, if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness or cigarettes are still legal when I'm 80, I'm so starting again.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Been trying to quit for a long time. Have had some good long runs, but eventually have always fallen off the wagon.
    Most recently quit from about four-five months, but fell off the wagon about two months ago. Smoking about 2-4 a day during weekdays, and none on the weekend.
    Going to try again.

Good luck.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The patch didn't seem to work for me, but the gum did.
    So if one method doesn't work, try another.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not a smoker but wanted to say good luck, BG.

Maybe try Pokemon Go in your walks around the office. ;)

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Started in 1972, freshman year in college. Never more than a pack a day. Started running and trying to get back in shape again in the late 1970s. Had my last cigarette when I went out on Dec. 31, 1979. Quit when I woke up on Jan. 1, 1980, haven't had once since. If I can do it, you can too.

Next up, stopping soda. Have done it for several months at a time but always relapse. It's tougher for me than stopping smoking. Target date for that challenge is 8/1/16.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

8/1/15 was my date last year for kicking diet dew. You can do it.

My rock bottom was that day. Went to doc office for annual physical. Resting heart rate was 119 bpm. I had guzzled a 44 oz of diet dew a half hour before without thinking of it.

Doc told me the number. I stopped right away. Day 2 brought headaches but I stepped down. Soda to tea to the MiO drinks. All good now.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Close to what I was going to say. I used to work in a law practice that dealt with asbestos/mesothelioma clients; I had to look at their lung x-rays ; that should stop you. Whereas your lungs are supposed to contract say 4 inches? A smoker's would contract about 1/2 an inch. The lining of the lungs from smoking just about solidified.

Count your blessings you caught it early and follow your desire to quit. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted