1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking engine question...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If that's the case, how much do you think it would cost to repair it?
    [/quote]

In all honesty, I'm surprised it lasted this long without something going wrong with it. If it is the weep hole, the seal on the pump's bearings has been compromised; ergo, the water pump is dying. Plan on replacing the water pump, preferably soon; given that it's a front drive car, plan on spending a lot of money on labor charges.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Automotive%20Water%20Pumps:42615-Type=Water%20Pumps:22606-Model=Plymouth%20Breeze;_ylc=X3oDMTEwMzRwMnAxBF9TAzk2NjMyOTA3BHNlYwNmZWVkBHNsawNzc2VhcmNo
    Here is some water pumps.
    I am going to say it will cost 50-75 for the pump and then about 1-2 hours labor at 50.00 to 100.00 per so I would say maybe 300-350 range.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I can handle that. If it's the head gasket, I'm out. I had that replaced two years ago.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm thinkin Connuter Valve.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I have no idea what that means.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It means he needs to replace his blinker fluid. ::)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But only if he's thrown the Hansen Rod.

8. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I think my blinker fluid is fine, thank you very much.

9. I'm thinking it's the water pump.

10. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I hope the water pump contingent is right. I'll let y'all know what I find out tomorrow. I'm scared to hear what they have to say.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hopefully you have a backyard mechanic who can fix it. If you do, it can cut your cost in half. And at least it's white smoke, not black...

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When you say funny smell and steam, I'm wondering if the head gasket is going and you're burning anti-freeze. My friend is great with cars and he got into my car and said right away "You're burning anti-freeze." I decided to buy a new car and the day I picked up the new car and left the old car as trade, I left it there and when they drove it into their garage the head gasket went and filled the garage with smoke. My brother worked at the dealer and told me they weren't too happy about it, but he was loving it.

Plus, the car I bought was my first new car, a 1989 Toyota Celica with a sun roof and good stereo with cassette deck. I put 160K on that thing over 11 years. What a great car it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted