1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking engine question...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

OK, I'll preface this by saying I know how to change a tire and change my oil, other than that, I know nothing about cars...

I have a Plymouth Breeze that's got 140,000 miles on it and has been good to me, surprisingly, but I think it's about had it.

Today, I got to work and noticed a funny smell. I got out to see some white steam coming out of my hood. My temperature guage was fine. I went in to work, put my stuff up, and went back out not five minutes later. It was done smoking.

I figure it's good that it's not black smoke, but instead just steam that disappears like inches after it gets out of the hood.

I just went to dinner and got out and it was doing the same thing...I got out, popped the hood and it was coming off one spot on my engine, not a hose or anything.

Before I left for dinner, I checked the radiator and the resevoir, both of which were full. In fact, the radiator appeared to be maybe overfilled. I haven't filled it in a while, but got my oil changed a few weeks back and they supposedly fill all that stuff.

Any clue on what could be causing it? I'm a little perplexed seeing as how my temperature guage has been normal. I've heard it doesn't work if there's no water in the radiator, but there is.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gosh I wish I knew the answer, as I would have followed many of my relatives into the lucrative field of auto repair instead of this gig.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Could be that the thermostat is not opening properly and therefore the fluid levels are not changing in the reservoir and radiator. Also check the radiator cap to make sure it is on tightly or have it pressure tested. If the cap is lose or worn it can leak.

Edit. I wouldn't trust your temperature gauge. As you say the car has 140 k on it so the gauge could be gone due to time or being burned up due to lack of cooling as caused by a bad thermostat.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Steam coming from where in the engine compartment, exactly? The engine itself, not the radiator or reservoir? That's a crucial difference.

The reservoir should have a couple of lines on it showing its "full" level when the radiator fluid is both hot and cold.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yes, from the engine itself. But it didn't seem to be "leaking" from anywhere, per se. Just coming off the metal.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Where on the engine, exactly?

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I don't know. Like I said, I know nothing about cars. It's coming from the main engine, not a valve (I think). It's just coming off the metal, it's not actually leaking out of anything.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

I was hoping for something in-between "on the engine" and "the hypersonic motivator" ...

Top, front, back, left, right?

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

If I was looking at it, it's on my right.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Looking at it from the front?

OK, front-drive car so it's a transversely-mounted engine. That means the water pump should be on your right.

Have your mechanic check the water pump; it may just be a bad seal.

And you may wish to invest in one of these, if only as a reference:

[​IMG]

It's vastly better than the owner's manual.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Excellent job.

The weep hole is leaking the water likely.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Looking at it from the front?

OK, front-drive car so it's a transversely-mounted engine. That means the water pump should be on your right.

Have your mechanic check the water pump; it may just be a bad seal.
    [/quote]

If that's the case, how much do you think it would cost to repair it?

Draft saved Draft deleted