1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smokin' hot wife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I thought it was the funniest prayer since Jeff Foxworthy's prayer routine about holding the Olympics in Georgia. "Lord bless these heathens for the beatin' they are about to receive..."

And the preacher who did it said he grew tired of the same old prayer everyone says and people don't even hear them any more. So he wanted to get folks' attention.

Mission accomplished.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

First of all, those complaining about the stereotypes this kind of prayer and the movie Talladega Nights portrays forget the movie was fully endorsed and promoted by NASCAR.

Second, it was a prayer before a freaking car race. Not a wedding. Not a funeral. Not even a church service. It is a purely recreational event and the people in attendance are their for a good time. The tone was totally appropriate for the setting. He wasn't endorsing a political party, he wasn't praying for bad things happen to people. He had a good time with the prayer. If you can't have a sense of humour about yourself, you need to lighten up a bit.

If he views his wife as smoking hot, then good on him. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree on all counts...

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh, I totally agree and loved Beef's above post. The whole debate is absurd.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Obviously, the Rev. was all jacked up on Mountain Dew when he gave the prayer...
    Seriously, I can see both sides of it - though I can't see, God bless him, why he had to refer to the "smokin' hot wife," even if it is a Talladega Nights line.
    But if it was a play off the constant over-the-top NASCAR sponsorship... well, I get it. I watch races pretty regularly, and the product placement is ridiculous - right down to the announcers talking about cars being filled up with "Sunoco racing fuel" and the "ServiceMaster Clean Caution Periods" during the race.
    If he felt like he could minister to people by speaking that way, more power to him. I thought it was laughable, but I'm not his target audience....

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

"Alternative Christian"...so, like Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith?

Kidding! I have worked in Christian Rock radio for 15 years now! :)

Although Air1/K-LOVE bought out a station I worked at and I lost my DJing job...so not a big fan of those guys.

...and I found the "prayer" stupid. Not humorless...it was funny...but just dumb.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Fair point, absolutely. And as a Christian myself, I can't totally argue you on it. For me it was a good laugh, but not something worth getting worked up over the way some people have.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe he was being sarcastic and offering a commentary on the uber-materialality of American life. Maybe he was pointing out the utter ignorance and immaturity of douche-bag athletes thanking god for catching that pass, hitting the 3 pointer or passing the other car on the back stretch? And telling the owners of teams, cars and venues that the over-commercialization of sports destroys it's value to humanity. That's why you should use... MayPax. The official tampon of NASCAR.

Maybe he was calling out the media for repeating, without critical commentary, douche-bag athletes' false piety. For instance:

Q: D'Andre, you thanked your Lord Jesus Christ 5 times for allowing you to make that interception and return to HIS HOUSE for the win against the Saints last week. This week De'Syan caught 11 balls on you for 189 yards and 3 TDs. Why do you think your Lord, Jesus Christ, let you down?

And a follow-up, why do you think your Lord, Jesus Christ, let you get into your Rolls Royce, drive at 110 mph while at 2 1/2 times the legal limit for blood/alcohol? Do you think He had anything to do with you ending the evening jumping on top of that Police Car yelling:" do you know who I am, driving me home, bitch"?

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In terms of movie references, I'd have much rather heard a quick word for the speedy recovery of Rowdy Burns rather than a tired Talladega Nights reference. But that's just me.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

He appears pretty humorless here:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As it does on most other topics, the religious establishment is taking itself way too seriously on this.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Jokes from the Bible: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1165/are-there-any-jokes-in-the-bible

Draft saved Draft deleted