1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's rights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Enough is enough. Got an associate who is on a rampage about smoking in public. It seems she was in a state where there is smoking in restaurants and got upset when she was cursed out by a patron. She told a patron who was smoking at his table, to put his cigarette out.
    I'm trying to stop smoking but I don't think that it's right for someone who is at their table, which is in a smoking section, to have their rights infringed by someone who doesn't like smoking.
    Any thoughts from the masses on this subject?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lots. None worth sharing. Nothing worse than an inconsiderate smoker. Nothing.

3. My father was a heavy smoker, I have never smoked. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and never understood why people would do it. That being said, I think it's rude when people do what you described. The smoker is well within his rights to smoke at a table that is in a smoking section.

4. So, just out of curiosity, moddy, what is your definition of an inconsiderate smoker? Not being mean here, but honestly trying to figure it out. He is smoking at his table in a smoking section. Is that inconsiderate?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you. Plus, I don't believe the story.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nope. That is not. I think smoking should be banned in public but it isn't and if he/she is at a smoking table, yeah, what can you do?
    Is he/she blowing it in your direction?

This is a sore subject with me. I'm bowing out.
    And I don't believe the story either.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean the proper decision in a given situation is to exercise it.

8. Fair enough. Like I said, I have never touched a cigarette or a cigar in my life, and I hate the smell and what it does to people, but for whatever reason I tend to lean to the side of smokers in situations like this.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Paging Zag...10-9-8-7-6-

I'm surprised there are places left in North America where you can still smoke in restaurants. Seems kinda odd.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and the term "smoker's rights" was coined by that honourable group, the tobacco industry.

11. Just assuming the story is true, why would smoking a cigarette while eating your dinner, IN THE SMOKING SECTION OF A RESTAURANT, not be a proper decision for anyone who choses to do so? And if there are babies around, is it the smokers fault for the other patron sitting in a smoking section? I get that there are grey areas, like people sitting at the last table of a non-smoking section right next to the smoking section, but for the most part, the smoker is not at fault here.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all are relentless. I love it.

I'm as obnoxiously anti-smoking as anybody, but I can't imagine walking up to somebody's table in a smoking section and asking them to stop smoking.

Draft saved Draft deleted