1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is my conclusion.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I watched my father waste away during his losing battle, I longed for something ... anything ... that would stimulate his appetite.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

What is this, Reefer Madness around here? I know plenty of people who smoke pot recreationally. I know a couple of people I would classify as potheads. My guess is, the ratio of people who use versus people who are addicted is the same as it would be with alcohol.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

MC is no big fan of the sauce, either.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have no problem if someone is against all mind-altering substances. I don't agree with it, but I get it. My problem is with the arbitrary picking and choosing.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m not that way at all.

I just think it’s hard to recognize dependence and addictive behavior in yourself.

“Denial” is considered a major symptom of addiction for a very good reason.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I can quite imbibing alcohol any time I want. I just don't want to ...

Uh oh.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But ...

You know who else "denial" is a major symptom for?

People who aren't addicted!

doctorquant likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sure. And the percentage of each, in my experience, is no different among pot smokers as it is among other addicts.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it might be a little higher among new pot users, because the efforts of the last 5-10 years have created the impression that it's harmless. (It's medicinal, for God's sake!)

Just an impression, though.

Also: I plug this book often, but I dare anyone to read "The Teenage Brain" chapter on marijuana use and continue to think of it as good harmless fun. At the THC levels in the product now -- especially in edibles -- it's a totally different substance from what we remember. My impression from that book was even that marijuana might be a little bit more of a threat than alcohol. This is partially true because of the value judgment parents are making based on what I noted about the higher potency now than what we dealt with.

poindexter likes this.
  11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Oh, no.

@YankeeFan is gonna have a field day.

Songbird likes this.
  12. I support legalization solely for the tax revenue.
    You have an opportunity to create huge revenue streams of taxes where people will willingly hand over the money. Not to mention, by decriminalizing the stuff you reduce law enforcement costs.
    This is a no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted