1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Have you ever had a drink, though?
    You didn't say "Not once. And I never will" like you did with pot.

I know a lot of guys who gave up drinking after they tried it. That doesn't mean they can talk about pot.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My father was an alcoholic who almost drank himself to death when I was 11, and then finished the job a dozen years later. Before I went to college, when I was old enough to understand what was happening, I made a vow never to touch the stuff. And I haven't. I'm not ashamed of it, either. Pretty proud of it, actually. You want to drink and get high, that's your bag. It's not mine, doesn't have to be, and never will be.
    It hardly means, however, that I'm some kind of dunderhead on the dangers of it. You don't have to wake up in a pool of your own vomit in a crashed-up car to recognize that. I've had enough moments in my life to see traits of addictive behavior in myself, some of them more destructive than others, and realize it's not a road I ought to go down.

The last time I willingly had a drink was when I was 17. Took a couple of sips of a rum and coke at a party. Had a few friends after that who thought they'd be funny and slip me a "Coke" that was actually a mixed drink. I took one sip, spit it out and damn near threw it back in their face. I was ready to throw hands over it until they apologized.
    That's where my major annoyance with the pro-pot crowd comes in. And I'm mostly talking about the ones for whom it has become a movement and a lifestyle, not the occasional weekend tokers. There's this belief among them that you'd just see the magic of pot if you smoked, man. Things would be so much cooler! It's the same attitude my friends had when they tried to slip me a drink thinking I wouldn't notice. It rubs me in all the wrong ways because it's fucking arrogant as hell.

3. Slacker

Strong stuff, thanks. I haven't smoked pot in years, but it beats the hell out of alcohol. I can't wait till it's legal here.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's all the same to me. Stuff that makes you drunk and dumb and leads to other bad decisions. I guess people like the feeling of the high, but I can't fathom doing that to myself. As I spelled out, my beliefs are what they are and they're strong and will not change. As I've gotten older, though, it's simply become something that's not part of my life. At this point, I doubt 99.9 percent of people even notice or care.

5. Slacker

And that's fine, but it's not the same at all. And if someone has never tried it, he has no actual basis for argument.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I've never killed anyone, either, but I know it's a bad thing.

LongTimeListener and Batman like this.
  7. Slacker

Not a valid rationalization, of course. But the ol' stand-by, giggity giggity ...

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just as valid as your ridiculous assertion.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Smoked junior and senior year of high school.

Have gotten high maybe 15 times in the last 30 years — none in the last 10 that I can remember.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Pot stinks. It literally stinks, to me like s***. I can't stand the smell. I never tried it when offered in high school or college and I never saw a reason to start.

My brother is hooked on the stuff just like an alcoholic to booze. He plans his night around it and there is nothing more boring than hearing potheads talk about their different blends.

It's gotten to the point where we can't even go out to dinner without him making sure he has one of his Vapes available for a quick hit before we go into the restaurant.

Draft saved Draft deleted