1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Marijuana may affect fertility in young men

The study, published in the journal Human Reproduction, looked at how a man's lifestyle affects his sperm morphology: the size and shape of sperm. Researchers collected data from 1,970 men who provided semen as part of a fertility assessment.

All of the lifestyle information was self-reported, and researchers made no attempt to confirm accuracy. Of those men, 318 produced abnormal sperm, where less than 4% of it was the correct size and shape (as defined by the World Health Organization). The remaining men's sperm had a higher percentage at a "normal" size and shape.

"Cannabis smoking was more common in those men who had sperm morphology less than 4%," Pacey said. "Cannabis affects one of the processes involved in determining size and shape. And we also know that the way cannabis is metabolized is different in fertile and infertile men."

The study found that men who had less than 4% normal sperm were typically under 30 years old, had used marijuana within three months of giving their sample and were twice as likely to have provided their sample during the summer.

Any of those factors could have influenced sperm morphology, but Pacey said "the only thing we found that was a risk that a man can do something about was cannabis."

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/05/marijuana-may-affect-fertility-in-young-men/

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's been awhile.

It's not the same without Bodie.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've got two young kids at home and am perfectly happy to keep it that way. Sounds like I should get back on the horse.

4. YankeeFan

I know.

Something about the stupidity of LeBron James argument The Brady Bunch thread made me think of Bodie. I miss his idiocy.

Maybe one of our funnier members could do create a worthy sock puppet, and post some stupid shit the Bodie might say.

5. YankeeFan

There you go!

There is a medicinal use.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Always gotta look on the bright side, my man.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maureen Dowd had a recent "bad trip" to Colorado.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/opinion/dowd-dont-harsh-our-mellow-dude.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

"What could go wrong with a bite or two?

Everything, as it turned out."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Does the Times have a drug policy? Looks like someone just violated it.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Never, ever put pot brownies in the hands of children. Or those with child-like tendencies.

A classic case of self-fulfilled prophecy.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I was told this (and standing in front of a working microwave...along with drinking Mountain Dew) during my stoner days and it only made me want to do them more.

But here I sit...some decade-plus later with a mini-me heading toward 2.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I also heard it makes you want the piano player to play faster.

Draft saved Draft deleted