1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG uncovers Jews in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've never understood the purpose of these lists. What is the obsession with ethnic lists of baseball players?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Big deal.

Do an All-Amish lineup and I'll be impressed.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bubbler is short for Bubbalah

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm not Jewish, though I've been mistaken for one, namely due to my prominent schnozz and the Hasidic insurance agent I had when I lived in Brooklyn. However, I did, for a while, write for the site that was originally the Jewish Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame before the Hall itself sued that name out of existence.

The impression I got was that lists like this (and efforts like the rock hall) were because for so long Jews, unlike others who played up or merely couldn't hide their ethnic or racial identity, suppressed their Jewishness as a way to get ahead. Think of Woody Allen's 60s routine about how he was hired by a Madison Avenue ad agency to be the "house Jew so they could say they were diverse," or even Seinfeld being a totally Jewish show that never acknowledged its Jewishness. When I interviewed Al Kooper for the site, he talked a lot about wanting to run away from that identity (especially as a musician -- he snuck into black churches to hear music because he couldn't take the cantors) as a young up-and-comer and only recently returning to it. For athletes, I can imagine these efforts are coming out because the joke for so long was that Jews weren't athletes -- remember Airplane and the famous Jewish athletes pamphlet?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Elspeth Hershberger All-Amish 1878-84
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Caleb hated the shift.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is that one in the back Willie Olsen?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kinda like the people who apologize profusely for wishing me a Merry Christmas.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you Bernie Kosar?

I think about 80 percent of the Jewish population in America was convinced Bernie was Jewish.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dark, curly hair. Prominent nose.

C'mon. Bernie's a Jew!

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought that was a list of Bernie Madoff investors.

Draft saved Draft deleted