1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG uncovers Jews in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd like you to think that.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I know that you know that he knows that.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Was John Rocker Jewish or black? I can't remember.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Many Jews and non-Jews see it as both an ethnic group and a religious group. I have heard of people referred to as secular Jews. In fact, that definition probably fits what I am the best. I'm not a religious person, but I do think of myself as Jewish before I think of what countries my ancestors came from. I know nothing of my German, Russian or Ukranian heritage. I know quite a bit about my Jewish heritage.

Does that make sense?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. That's what you'd like me to think I know.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Works for me.

This is apropos to nothing, but I have a surname that could be considered Jewish, though I am Catholic. A couple of times a year, someone thinks I'm Jewish because of it, about half of those who think I'm Jewish are Jewish themselves.

The weird thing is that in the instances when a Jew has thought I was Jewish, that person has been embarrassed beyond the pale of normal embarrassment. They apologize and think I'm offended despite multiple assurances from me that I am not offended at all.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has Buckweaver seen this?

I would love his take. If this list can get by Buckweaver unscathed, sign this kid up.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not O.J. Simpson, that's for sure.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"There is talk that I am Jewish - just because my father was Jewish, my mother is Jewish, I speak Yiddish and once studied to be a rabbi and a cantor. Well, that's how rumors get started." - Baseball Clown Prince Al Schacht in My Own Particular Screwball (Al Schacht, 1955)

10. heyabbott

Rod Carew was married to a Jewish woman, raised his children in that faith, but never converted to Judaism himself

11. heyabbott

Brad Ausmus
    Steve Yeager
    Scott Schoeneweis
    Elliott Maddox
    Jose Bautista

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's funny, I never thought of "Bubbler' as sounding Jewish.

Draft saved Draft deleted