1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG: Rich Hofmann

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Feb 15, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Rich Hofmann is a consistently good read. And when you finish, you don't have a headache. He's doesn't do knee-jerk, and he picks ideas that don't always drive the most numbers.

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/20080212-RichHofmann.asp

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Good stuff from Hoffo.

Very solid columnist & a better guy.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Rich is the smartest, most thoughtful, most scrupulous writer I know.
    If there's a contemporary I look up to, he's it.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

don't think i would encourage my son to go into the business.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

ya know ... it appears Rich has been honest and blunt and clear with his kid about the industry, and the kid made a decision, and - like a good dad - Rich is going to give the kid all the information he can and let the kid make the call about his future. there are jobs & they may not be at newspapers, but there will always be journalism jobs. and I'm sure some will be with outlets that don't exist yet because kids who haven't been discouraged from pursuing journalism haven't started them up yet.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

HenryHenry: I don't think it would be accurate, from reading that, to say Rich is ENCOURAGING his son to go into the business. Maybe he isn't DISCOURAGING him as much as I would if I had a son who wanted to do this, but as Stone Cane pointed out, he's definitely mentioned the pitfalls.
    Rich speaks of encouraging his son, in the piece, but I think he means since the kid is really determined to do this, after getting his father's advice, he's going to respect the kid's decision and his judgment, and try to help rather than to hinder.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

a kid has to follow his heart, true enough.

if the business doesn't open up to him as it did rich, he'll find something else.

parents don't have as much control as they would like in these matters. particularly with strong-willed kids.

if he learns to report and write, those skills will serve him - somehow.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

good column by rich.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/rich_hofmann/20080318_Rich_Hofmann__When_Anderson_started__Villanova_Wildcats_roared.html

i'm pulling for villanova after reading it.

Draft saved Draft deleted