1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG presents Gene Collier

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 8, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

So true that you can't be a good writer without reading. Good interview.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he says it's an "easy job".

if he worked in a larger market i wonder if he would say that.

3. badmoon

badmoon Member

I've known and read Gene a very long time. He can play in any league there is, and I suspect his feelings would be the same.

4. boots

boots New Member

One of the good guys in the business, period!

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Really, really surprised to see he's from Coaldale. Of all the places...

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right because Mike Lupica, travel baseball coach extraordinaire, and Mitch Albom have such a tough life writing their opinions about sports from their couches.

7. boots

boots New Member

Gene is old school and a pro's pro. Those who have worked along side of him will attest to that. Money and greed has changed Mike and Mitch. Mike also has a problem with his ego that needs constant stroking.
    However, all three are excellent writer. If I were ranking purely on talent, the order from best to worst is Mitch, Gene and Mike.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i don't doubt he would make it any market - particularly writing like this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07138/787066-150.stm

9. boots

boots New Member

Henry, I don't know you but I know Gene. I know what he can do on deadline and off deadline. Like I said earlier, he's a pro's pro.

10. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

Murderers Row defined: Mark Whicker, Jayson Stark, Bill Conlin and Gene Collier covering the 1980 Phillies.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

boots, i don't know you but i know what i wrote in my last post.
    it was meant to be complimentary.
    somehow, you didn't get it, but that didn't stop you from using a cliche, "pro's pro."

Draft saved Draft deleted