1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Ragu,
    Thanks for reminding me of those other issues; I guess "getting the gist" isn't all the way on.

More $.02 from me: I understand why folks here have issues with what he does, and I agree with DD's objections to the big names talking with him.

But I don't think he's ever aspired to be what newspapers are, re: the hard-and-fast responsibility and accountability; I hate the cliche "it is what it is," but TBL has formed a model that works for him. Like I said before, it's hard for me to begrudge him of that.

Whether any of us like it or not, he's got a successful product. It may be catered to a low common denominator -- including me, full disclosure -- but it's successful nonetheless.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell. I was going to post a picture. But I don't want to be unfunny.

And I can't find one of Fozzie, bent over, patting his stuffed ass and saying, "Kiss this, you unfunny bastard!"

I'll keep looking.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sadly, the CEO announced today that all vowels are being laid off to save money.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You make me smile :D

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thereby known as having a vowel movement...

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Re: SMG interviews The Big Lead

the people who think fozzie photos are funny are the same people who think blogging is a temporary fad.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You got me.

I also think these damn Interwebs are destined to go away and electricity will soon follow.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SMG, left, listening to TBL describing Miss Piggy's recent "eye candy" appearance on his blog.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure, for you it works.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy fucking shit, that is funny.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No.

This isn't Bill Simmons writing "columns" on his couch without talking to a soul or doing any legwork and/or fact-checking. That's different, because simply opining as Simmons does doesn't require any real reporting (although I stand by my stance in the other thread that the best columnists are also usually the best reporters.) There are different forms of writing, different forms of good writing, and it doesn't have to follow the same rules. Clearly, Simmons isn't trying to practice journalism and holding him to those standards doesn't really fit.

However, TBL does not fall under the label "creating a niche" because clearly he aspires to be someone who breaks news -- or plays insta-pundit to breaking news -- albeit about sports/entertainment stories rather than on-the-field occurrences.

And that's what makes it such an abuse of ethics, because he IS trying to play "journalist" (at least, whatever he thinks one is.)

So no, don't say we can excuse TBL for his lack of accountability because he's not "trying" to be responsible like a newspaper. That's a copout, just like his site is a copout. Posting shit to the wall to see if it sticks -- and then saying "oops, my bad" when it turns out to stink. And slandering people in the process. No, no, no.

That's the reason the Fozzie pictures keep getting posted, and like it or not, the reason why they'll continue to get posted.

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Buckweaver:
    I respect your opinion, I've said it many times. But because he posts stuff people send him -- yes, sometimes in a very timely fashion -- and writes his opinion on stuff, he's trying to be a newspaper and a breaking news authority? I don't see the connection, and I don't see it as a copout.

And, moddy's post was pretty darn hilarious. I laughed. Obviously, you all can post all the Fozzie stuff you want, just as I can keep saying that posting the Fozzie stuff isn't original or slightly funny. Just my $.02

Draft saved Draft deleted