1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG interviews Tim Layden

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 7, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

layden makes a good point.
    if you find the right topic - non-personal but intriguing - guys will talk.

2. Henry,
    I think you and I are the only ones who discuss - muchless read - these things.
    SMG is one of favorite sites to read.

3. Whoa whoa whoa, I'm all about these! SMG is really a great site...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Count me as an SMG fan. Liked the nugget about Layden sitting on the conference call with the SI reporters, the editor drops "let's write a story on Cover 2" and the line is silent for 15 seconds. But Layden takes it, does a great job with it and gets tons of feedback.

5. Of all the Q&A's on that site -- and I think I've read them all -- I thought this was the best as far as talking about the craft of journalism. I think he really gave a lot of thoughtful answers, especially about the mechanics of putting together a story, from the idea to the printed word. Must reading for everyone, not just the youngsters. I like the site, but I enjoyed this one.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

they need to publish more frequently.
    lots of people have something to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted