1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG Interviews Terry Pluto

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 17, 2008.

1. http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/20080115-TerryPluto.asp

Interesting take on his job:

Q. Does that make you an entertainment writer?

A. Sure. You want to get it right, but c'mon. I ain't covering the city council meeting, and I ain't writing about crime in the streets. I'm writing about the Cavs and Sonics tonight, about LeBron and Durant. Hopefully it will be a good show.
    You can write stuff that makes an impact but for the most part you're a sportswriter. I love writing and I love sports but I don't take myself too seriously. I realize I'm giving them popcorn and chocolate sundaes.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I read one Terry Pluto column and book after another growing up in northeast Ohio. He was never the most eloquent writer, but he was always accessible, even to an 8-year-old.

I didn't know he worked in North Carolina and Georgia before his short stint at the Baltimore Evening Sun and his decades in Ohio.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of his work as a faith columnist.

I've always enjoyed Pluto, FWIW.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Mr. Pluto is one of the reasons I got interested in this business and a reason I keep going. I can't put a finger on why I enjoy reading him, I just do. Always have, always will.

Nice to see his favorite restaurant is the Courtyard. Great food there! Love that place. My parents and I are frequent visitors of the place when I'm home. Larry Nance is also a frequent customer.

Anyway, great find. Thanks.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he sends books and media guides to soldiers in kuwait

nice guy

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Plus, he's good enough to work for the Plain Dealer.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Damn it.

8. I know a lot of people sort of do eye-rolls when Pluto's name comes up. His prose is nothing special and his Faith stuff is a little weird sometimes, but I grew up reading him and still enjoy him.

He was -- and still is -- one of the most accessible columnists in America. He writes for the average Joe sportsfan. That's really a commitment for him, not just a cliche.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Loose Balls remains one of my favourite books. I give him credit for publishing that in anecdotal style and not over-writing it.

10. I didn't realize that they did. Why is that? Isn't he a two-time Pulitzer finalist?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's fine and all. I could do better.

12. His writing style would never fit at, say, the New York Times, and because of that I think some (not all) look down their noses at him. The guy doesn't have an ounce of cynicism in his body, which I think also makes him a bit different from most of the rest of us.

His Faith column is usually a happy, Joel Osteen brand of evangelical Christianity, so it's relatively inoffensive. But again, his views are fairly unorthodox in sports writing and the newspaper business in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted