1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG interviews Mike Rosenberg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The money quote:

Q. As a general columnist, which local team guarantees you the largest audience? Which team generates your best columns?

A. People outside Detroit might not believe this, but the team that generates the most interest is the Lions. The NFL just dwarfs everything else in this country. Since Matt Millen arrived, the Lions have been the worst franchise in the league, maybe the worst in all of sports, yet interest has only gone up.

Sometimes I step back and shake my head. It’s like if GM produced a line of cars with square wheels, and then produced a line of “fuel-efficient” trucks that you have to push, and then produced a line of cars that explode when you look at them, and after all that, people lined up outside the factory to see what they came up with next.

2. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I knew I liked Rosenberg. His column on Rich Rodriguez a couple weeks ago didn't hurt, either.

3. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

I admit that I am a freind of Mike. I work in another market, but IMHO he is the best columnist in the business. I had to ::) with his Mitch comments.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Agreed. All the old ladies love Mitch, but Mike hits his column with such precision thats its hard not to like.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

was he a columnist when he did the perez piece?

if so, kudos.

it's rare that a columnist will work that hard.

most are on auto-pilot.

Draft saved Draft deleted