1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG interviews Gwen Knapp

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 10, 2008.

1. http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/interviews/gwen-knapp/

She has an intertesting take on steroids....

One thing I think she nailed...
  2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

steroids may be a 'public health' issue if you're a parent

but if you're a baseball fan it's cheating

don't see how she splits that hair

funny line about "biting during sex"

she's a good writer
  3. silentbob

silentbob Member

I've never really paid much attention to her, but after this interview, I will start.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Her opinion is her opinion... but to some people sports lose some of their integrity when athletes exhibit behavior that violates the spirit of fair play. And to many fans, athletes who doped, violated that spirit of fair play and subverted the rules. To those people, it *is* a cheating issue. To not understand that, is to not understand how a lot of people view sports -- whether you personally agree that it is a big deal or not that some athletes illicitly doped to gain an advantage.
  5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Gwen is good.

I have a print-out of her column from Sept. 18, 1997 saved in a basketball-leather bound folder from my freshman year which is signed by Costas — long before I realized the ignorance of my admiration.

The column is still one of my favorites, for noticing the details in an evening of drama. Plus, I was there for the game.

I'd link it the column I could find it. Here are the highlights:

Lede: "The home plate umpire wore an anachronism, a chest protector from an era without cell phones or e-mail. An era with a World Series every year no matter what.

The whole umpiring crew looked odd, in glossy new blac jackets, Giants caps and, for Bruce Froemming at home, the outdated external shield, a bulky sponge protruding from all angles. Their luggage had be lost on the way to Candlestick, ensuring that one more element of Wednesday night's game would transcend the ordinary."

Later: "In place of a vaudeville routine, the Giants and Dodgers gave us baseball at its finest. They blew sincere kisses to their sport."

Later: "After Bonds hit a two-run homer in the first, his trek around the bases melded vindication and childlike joy. He pirouetted as he ran toward first, raising his arms to the crowd. At third base, he stomped on the bag."

Next: "There were 56,000 people in the park, waving neon-orange signs that said, "Beat L.A." A few of them left in handcuffs Most simply left happy."

Kicker: "Now, the clubhouse TVs were tuned to Debra Winger's deathbed scene in 'Terms of Endearment," and the Dodgers were in the visitors' clubhouse, separated from the Giants by only a hallway and one game in the standings."
  6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

She might be the best, but the column you're citing strikes me as amazingly lame.

That's the kind of thing you write when you have no time to get anything good -- you fill with a couple of grafs about the sunset and two more about the crisp whiteness of the home uniforms.

I'm sure she's done much better work.
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... and you'd be right. This was posted at the end of the piece:

8. Smasher_Sloan

I swear I am not disparaging Ms. Knapp, but when the brother of the deceased tells the assembled, ”Pat isn’t with God. He’s f — ing dead. He wasn’t religious. So thank you for your thoughts, but he’s f — ing dead,” your day as a columnist is pretty much made.
  9. That absolutely helps your day, but it doesn't write that column for you.
  10. Smasher_Sloan

If you can't write a compelling column from that scene, get out of the business.
Draft saved Draft deleted