1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG interviews Gordon Edes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2008.

1. SMG interviews Gordon Edes

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/interviews/gordon-edes/

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

How 'BOUT that, Mikey?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Gordo....

Best baseball writer I have ever worked with.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That Papelbon pickoff story is one of the best deadline things I've read in a long, long time.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed. That was an incredible piece.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

didn't know the Globe jerked Edes around on his baseball column.

what's with this Globe SE anyway? why would he jerk around somebody as valuable as Edes?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have no truck with Edes as a writer. But I am sick of hearing reporters having to answer for not covering the steroid era.

"If you had a chance to do it all over again, would you have killed Bin Laden during your interview?"

Oy.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Anybody have a link? I remember hearing about it last year -- wasn't it Holliday he picked off? -- but never got around to actually reading it.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Asking isn't necessarily blaming, although Edes does answer with a mea culpa. I find it interesting to know what the major national baseball journalists were thinking during the worst of the steroids era. I agree with Edes that it would have been difficult if not impossible for a team's beat writers to aggressively pursue it -- that could easily cut off needed sources for day-to-day coverage -- but the national writers might have dug deeper and pushed harder.

I still remember Tom Boswell getting razzed or ripped by a lot of seamheads for his speculation about Canseco in the A's hey days, late '80s.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Minus the power of subpoena, I don't know exactly where digging deeper and pushing harder takes you as far as getting something solid enough to publish.

Ballplayers don't give up their peers. They gossip about them, but when it comes time to commit for the record, do they have anything to say? And do they actually <b>know?</b> I can have evidence that someone is taking steroids, but maybe there's a friendly doctor who's writing a prescription. Players have all sorts of injuries that could require steroids as part of the rehab. There's also a doctor-patient confidentiality issue.

Then there's the matter of HGH, which isn't even included in the current testing.

I have great respect for Gordon, but I think he's misguided in thinking he "missed" this story.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes.

"I have no idea about steroids. I've never seen anyone do them."

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted