1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG interviedws Stefan Fatsis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That is an excellent book.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

I can second all the praise for "A Few Seconds of Panic." Just finished it last week. It's fantastic.

3. AD

AD Active Member

that book is so underrated. best look at inside of an nfl lockerroom that i've seen in decades. got marketed as a plimptonesque fantasy, but it's really about today's nfl.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

So why don't pitchers wear single-digit uniforms? Something to do with scoring and the old days, I suspect.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely. Todd Sauerbrun doesn't come off too well in it.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You know how those wide receivers punters can be.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Those that are left.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really missed that site that ripped the wedding announcements in the New York Times. Veiled Conceit, I think it was called.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought it was just one of those unwritten rules. A pitcher with a single digit is Cadillacking it, etc. The last one I remember was Rob Bell, who wore No. 6 when he was with the Rangers in 2002.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Josh Towers wore 7 during his sucktastic time with the Jays.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jason Elam comes off as a really cool guy.

And as for why pitchers don't wear single numbers, I would think it has to go back to the early tradition of the numbers reflecting the order in the lineup (Babe Ruth hit third, so he was No. 3. Lou Gehrig hit fourth, so he was No. 4).

Pitchers didn't play every day, so they received double-digit numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted