1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG does Bob Kravitz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/20080306-BobKravitz.asp

Kravitz interview is pretty good. He discusses his column questioning Dungy's decision to leave his family in Tampa to coach in Indy.

Pretty good stuff.

Didn't know the guy was so well traveled. He's worked a lot of places.

Note the book Marantz (sp), the man who does the interviews, has a book on Leonard v. Haglar fight. Looks interesting.
    'Cause everybody knows Haglar got a royal screw job that night.

2. I find the use of the phrase "rare feature column" interesting. Clearly Kravitz' philosophy is that columns are for commentary and opinion, not glorified features. I would have liked to have seen his thoughts on that explored a little deeper, particularly since some of the guys he mentions (Plashcke, Posnanski) are quite often feature columnists.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That would have been interesting because Bob was primarily a takeout guy, and an excellent one, before he became a columnist.
    In fact, I'm not sure he ever had a pro beat on a newspaper, although he covered hockey for SI.

The one thing that Bob always got was that it was all about giving the reader a good ride. Even as a young writer, he had that Selena Roberts knack for throwing in some unusual words, but the context would make it clear what the words meant, so it wasn't a matter of showing off his vocabulary while losing the reader. Like me, Kravitz was a fan of John Schulian, and while I think I'll always consider Schulian the best sports columnist of my lifetime, Kravitz had one skill Schulian didn't have -- the ability to be funny without being mean, almost Ostler-like.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he writes that just because dungy is a man of faith doesn't mean he can't be a hypocrite.

belaboring the obvious.
    like ham and eggs - they're inseparable.

Draft saved Draft deleted