1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG does Alison Overholt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 4, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I do recall, J_D. Those bastards don't even deserve the courtesy of you asking. But for others, it may work.

And yes, I mean PDFs of the stories as they appeared online -- especially because many papers have links that expire after two weeks, a month, what-have-you. If you've got Adobe Acrobat or even just CutePDF, all you have to do is print to PDF and save a copy of the page for yourself on your hard drive. That way, even if the link itself expires, you still have a clip of the story when you need it. (Helps when it comes time to put together a new resume, if you've got all your best clips already on your computer.)

And it also helps with a Web site, as you can see by Alison's clips. Her clips are not links; they're PDFs that she created and is hosting on her site.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Haven't checked out her site yet. Just read what was quoted earlier, and this line stood out: If you don’t have time to put together a whole site, just start a blog and add a resume with links to recent work.

But yeah, these are great ideas. Thanks.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That line got me too, JD. Been really meaning to put together something with my freelance work. But I've got the journalist's stigma to personal BLOGS! so I don't think I could point a client to one. I'll just start a site and update it as if it was, well, a blog.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

good interview.

she navigated the last question with caution.

5. And it reads like she's 14.

Draft saved Draft deleted