1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart Phones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Even though I am a computer nerd, I've never given my cell phone much of a thought. As long as I can make and receive calls, and the alarm clock works, I'm happy. Never once looked at the higher-end phones.

Until lately.

My service provider offers two different smart phones -- a Palm Treo and a Motorola Q. And the more I read about them, the more they both look like fun little toys. The camera doesn't matter, I pretty much always have my digital camera with me, but the rest of the functions could be useful.

So, anyone out there who has a smart phone, whatcha think? Is the audio quality as good as a 'regular' cell phone? Are they worth the money?

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I had two Blackberries and hated them both. The e-mail was fine, but the phone itself sucked and the web browsers were next to useless.

I now have a T-Mobile SDA. It's fabulous. Works with Windows Mobile. The browser is splendid, e-mail is easy to use and fast, and the phone itself is rock-solid.

Worth the money? That I don't know; mine is paid for by my company.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I've got a Treo 650. It's useful, though I've always had clarity problems. (Well, the phone has, too.) And the software has kind of crapped out on me. Can't use the internet without it turning the phone off, and the screen calibration slips often (you have to re-cal before you can use the stylus). Now, some of that is the beating I've given the phone. Some, though, is not.
    Me? I'm holding out for the iPhone in June.

4. accguy

accguy Member

I have a new BlackBerry that I love, love, love. It's very stable -- I've had to restart it once in the six months that I've had it -- and allegedly more stable than the Treo. I haven't heard much good about the Motorola Q.

Having my e-mail with me all the time is great, so is having a browser to check stuff quickly.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had the Treo 650 for about 8 mos and it was bulky and very unstable (constantly had to reboot). The web browser was nice but with the Treo if you did not do anything for 30 secs you lost the browser.

I've got the new BlackBerry now and I've never had to reboot. Sound is find (I use a Bluetooth headset) and phone works great. No camera though. BlackBerry is very sturdy and the trackball is better than the Treo stylus.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The O2 XDA is phenominal.

7. girl friday

girl friday Member

blackberry.

i resisted for years; boy friday has had them for quite some time and was always telling me how great it was. i got a promotion that pretty much mandates i have instant email and such, and i am now addicted.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I got a Blackberry Pearl a couple of months ago and I love it.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My phone and I have something in common.
    Neither of us is very smart.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Go Treo, Q is a crap smartphone.
    check out www.treocentral.com or www.howardforums.com

11. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

don't get a Q. I've had trouble with mine... and today, the last straw. Fully charged, it decided to turn itself off and won't turn back on. I give up.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's what I'm afraid would happen to me. My wife's boss gets on his crackberry and emails her while he's driving!

Draft saved Draft deleted