1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart Phone help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Yet another cell phone thread. Sorry.

So here's my situation. I have Sprint, and I like Sprint. I'm locked in for another year and a half.

But I want to get a smart phone, with full Qwerty keypad and Windows Mobile so I can get my work e-mail on the go. A Blackberry, a Treo, a Blackjack, a Q, something like that.

Two questions for those a lot more cell savvy than me?

1. If I stick with Sprint, what's my best bet? I hear bad things about the Treo, and I don't think BB carries Windows Mobile. Is the Q any good?
    2. If I wanted to do this relatively cheap, is there a way? I don't want to drop 600 bucks on a phone, and I'm not eligible for the extend-your-plan-and-get-a-juicy-rebate deals for a while. Is eBay a viable option? Or other online sources? Or is there a way out of my Sprint service so I can get the new-customer discount with another provider?

Thanks for any help.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I did get a Treo 700p for Christmas. 100 bucks after mail in rebate. I like the touch screen - it's a feature the Q doesn't have. The Q has the side wheel, and a friend of mine said her thumb was getting sore from using the side wheel.

I've been using it a lot, and I noticed a friend of mine, an older gent, had the Treo as well. I said, "Don't you love it?"

And he said, "It's okay. I'm just biding my time until the iPhone."

"From Apple?"

"OH yeah."

I sort of wish I'd waited for that.

Btw, I have Verizon, so my post probably doesn't help you at all, does it? :D

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Max, as someone who has owned a Treo 650 for almost 2 years and used Palm OS devices for 7, feel free to PM me or ask any questions about smartphones.
    I love the Treo, great phone, great device.
    Also, try www.howardforums.com and go to the sprint forum, there's a ton of phone geeks who will help you.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

And to answer your questions...
    1) The Blackberry does not use Windows mobile. The Q sucks, it's a stripped down smartphone, you can't edit or work on excel or word files, only look at them. Motorolas suck.
    2) I would post your quandry on www.sprintusers.com I have VZW and the folks on that site would know more about getting a new phone at a decent price. You'll probably have to extend your contract.

The Treo that uses Windows (the 700w or 700 wx) is OK.

One more thing, Microsoft just announced a new version of Windows Mobile (6), so expect to see discounts on version 5 phones, version 6 isn't expected out until late spring, summer at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted