1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart Home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't understand how to buy light bulbs anymore. I stockpiled a bunch of incandescent bulbs and don't know what I'm going to do when I run out. None of the newer ones are as bright as like. Or the lumens aren't high enough. Or something.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pern, is your power company a cooperative or one of the huge power companies?

I ask because if you are on a cooperative, they are much friendlier with the customer than the big guys.

Try to get a historical usage printout of your home for as long back as they can give you. Then baseline those numbers against what you are currently using.

Then use these or what's available to you...
    Rappahannock Electric Cooperative - Residential
    http://myrec.apogee.net/comcalc1/specialty/myrec_ServiceSchedAU.aspx

That will give you an accurate picture of what you have invested and what you have saved. If your payback is less than a year, then you are doing very well.

And your investment will be even more valuable if we start to see demand-based residential billing.

Understanding Peak Demand Charges

Light bulbs, HVAC, air leaks and hot water... those are the ones to get under control.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wanted to replace our 4 40-watt ceiling fan bulbs with some 60-watt to make reading easier.

All the "efficient" bulbs in the store have some kind of designation like "25 watts of energy = 60 watts of brightness"

Never know whether I can believe these claims or not.

I just never thought of light bulbs as making any kind of difference in my electric bill. HVAC, refrigerator, hot water, yes.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My favorite MIL joke:

MIL comes to visit. While bringing in her bags, says to SIL,
    "don't worry, I'm only staying as long as you want me to."
    He says,
    "you wan't even have a cup of coffee?"

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good info, Devil, thanks. Our power company is not a Co-op, but I would think I can get a usage printout for the last three years, which is how long we've been in the house. Do peak demand charges typically apply to residential? I see the example in that link is based on commercial usage.

6. bigpern23

Using the example I gave earlier of a 60W bulb generating an average annual energy cost of $5.18 vs. $1.87 for the smart bulbs, the savings aren't gigantic, but they're still there.

I need a minimum of 27 bulbs for my home, so my AAEC using the smart bulbs would be approximately $50 per year (a little more than $4 per month), as compared to $140 (about $12 per month) for the 60W bulbs. Total cost on the smart bulbs will be about $400. A Phillips 60W bulb is about $2 per bulb, so $54 total. At a savings of $90 per year, it will take less than three years to recoup the cost of the bulbs.

I like being as efficient as possible and the savings are a little bonus. Plus I like the way you can program and automate them through the app and your smartphone. I'll admit to being a bit wowed by the "cool" factor. I just like this kind of stuff.

On a macro scale, if most Americans used such bulbs, our energy consumption would drop pretty significantly.

7. bigpern23

I've seen the color changing lights, which are pretty neat, but I don't think I can justify the cost on those. The $15 outlay on the smart bulbs is fine, but when you're getting up into the $40 range, it would probably take 8-10 years to recoup the costs. The smart bulbs are dimmable, which is another nice feature.

On the Nest, I had read really good reviews, which is what prompted us to choose them. Since ordering them, several of our subcontractors have mentioned that they're best smart thermostats available, which kind of confirmed to us that we made a solid choice. The plumber who installed them said he has them in his house and swore by how well they work.

8. 93Devil

I would get as much data as you can. The house is still the house.

Data like that can tell you if the compressor of your HVAC is going or other crap.

I think peak demand is coming eventually to our homes. It's just a matter of time.

The grid can only hold so much, so they are going to make people aware of the peak times through their bills.

30% of a large service utility bill is earned in 15 seconds.

9. bigpern23

Whoa.

Good idea, though, I'll get in touch with the energy company and see where we're at.

10. 93Devil

I don't want to scare you because right now homes are not on the demand metering (at least in VA they are not), but a decent sized high school will have an electric bill of $24,000 a month. $8,000 of that is earned if they peak demand around 750 KW.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When my wife and I bought our current house in the fall of '13, we paid $8,000 for solar panels; the solar company guaranteed we wouldn't pay for electricity for 20 years. It's been incredible. The only thing we pay the utility is the $10 monthly charge that everyone gets for the privilege of being one of its customers. But we generate more power than we use, so at the start of the new year, it'll take us five or six months to use up our surplus and for that time period we won't even have the $10 monthly charge, and all the while we'll be generating more surplus. Our roof shingles are black, so the panels blend in nicely. Here in Florida it's not uncommon to have a monthly electric bill of $250-$300 or more for half the year, so we'll make up our initial outlay lickety split.

12. 93Devil

Wow.

I know the solar technology is moving forward quickly, but this is a hack of an example. You are working on less than a four-year payback for those.

I am helping on a project in another school division when they are looking at putting solar panels on a field house.

At some point on the next 4-5 years, we will have to put a new roof on our home, I wonder if adding solar panels to that job would be the right time?

Draft saved Draft deleted