1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smallest airport you've used (commercially)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When they land, they leave the prop on the opposite side of the departure door running. Then after getting everyone off/on, they turn that thing around, fire up the other prop, and head back to Denver.

2. Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.
    International Falls, Minnesota.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Key West, Fla. - The airport is basically a pink building maybe the size of an Applebee's. One third of it is taken up by the bar/restuarant. The baggage claim is a semi-circle that is probably about 10 feet by 5 feet. They could probably just hand you your suitcase through the hole. To go to the bathroom, you have to go out past the metal detector and back through security again.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I once has a relative land a small plant on a tiny island in the Bahamas.

The landing strip, from what I recall, was less than a mile long. He did an excellent job.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ontario, calif.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The place I landed at had no baggage claim. Just take them out yourself. The passport control was basically a shack.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ontario was that way, back in the day.

it's quite a bit bigger now.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

College Station, Texas. Got a cheap, early 80s Oldmobile with seemingly no power anything as my rental car for my time there. Good times.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Moosonee. Flew in on Air Creebec, white-out conditions. Various stops at reservations on the way in and out. Declined to take the helicopter to Moose Factory, opted for snowmobile across the ice.

YHS, etc

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Saratoga, Wyoming

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSAA

On the plus, it was a Lear Jet I was flying on when I was there.

EDIT: Oh sorry, that was not commercial. Commercial would have to be the lovely hamlet of Lake Havasu, AZ.

11. The thing that gets me about small airports, like MG said, is the security.

They're all over you.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I once flew out of Juneau to a small island about 30-45 minutes west. The counter was actually an 8-foot-long table set up along a wall . . . when I got there it looked like they were starting to set up for a flea market or a bake sale.

A guy shows up about 30 minutes before my flight is supposed to leave and says to me, "We might be a few minutes late this morning." And by "we" he literally means he and I. He's also the pilot; it's a two-seater and I'm sitting right next to him. The back of the plane is filled with cargo.

Draft saved Draft deleted