1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smallest airport you've used (commercially)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Waynesville Regional Airport.

I had no idea we were on the same plane that day. Small world. :D

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

St. Cloud...just a handful of 70-mile prop plane flights to/from MSP daily. One gate, but is a well-run, smooth operation. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby as well, and the air conditioning was working beautifully when I flew in there last summer on a day with the heat index pushing 120.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Moscow-Pullman Regional. I know it's been mentioned, but no one has noted that the car rental counter doubles as a snack bar. Microwave pizza, anyone?

4. cathack

cathack New Member

Twin Falls, Id. at 11:30 p.m. has one person working every job, if memory serves me right. Yakima's almost as bad.
    I might get to expereince Moscow-Pullman for first time later this month.

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Greenville, NC
    Paper planes need larger terminals.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Dubuque, Ia. - four flights a day, American Eagle, all flights to and from Chicago. It was seven years ago (part of my first airplane trip, actually). Went from Atlanta to Chicago on a huge airliner, then from Chicago to D-town on a prop plane. Boy was I surprised when I saw that plane after the first leg of my trip.
    Second smallest was State College, Pa - 20 flights out a day on four airlines. Was the only airport I've ever experienced where they don't let you go through security screening until it's almost time to board.... I got there 2 hours beforehand and expected to hang out in the terminal, but it was closed until just before departure - had to wait in the lobby. Very strange.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Rifle, Colorado. When Aspen is too snowy, they divert the small planes to Rifle. The terminal is a converted mobile home with a coffeepot. The runway is a driveway that runs through a dirt field. If there are too many marmots sleeping on the runway, you have to circle until they can wake 'em up. An old miner named Clem sits outside the mobile home waiting for diverted passengers who now have no way to get to Aspen, 60 miles away. He'll drive you in the 1985 AstroVan, for $30 and a pack of unfiltered cigarettes, which he'll smoke in your face with the windows shut. He'll play Tammy Wynett songs on the 8-track the whole way.

But it's still better than trying to land in Aspen in the snow....only one way to land, on a narrow strip between a mountain and a highway....and you can see the damage to the mountain where the pilots have missed. On stormy afternoons, they remove half the passengers from the flights, so they can carry extra fuel to deal with the turbulence that turns a 45 minute flight into a 2 hour purgatory.

This is why people live so well in Aspen...they're all just happy to be alive.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nantucket. Two airlines, one gate and this bipolar hottie at the lunch counter

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Molokai, Hawaii, it was more like a bus station. Car rental was outdoors.
    You walked across the tarmac to the terminal.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Watertown, N.Y. - There were a couple flights a day to Pittsburgh on an 11-seater. Like most small airports, baggage claim was plane side, there was one person for U.S. Airways who worked there and the TSA guy. They even had a picnic table and vending machine!

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Utica NY, though i can't remember much about it.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Salisbury, Maryland. I got there two hours early because, you know, it's an airport. Two terminals, only one was used, and I waited the whole time for my plane to arrive. The sucker probably had like 15 seats.

Needless to say, I was sweating the whole time I got to Philly, which was oh, 30 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted