1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smallest airport you've used (commercially)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Waco, Tex., to visit a friend attending Baylor.

The flight from Dallas to Waco was in a plane so small there wasn't a door between the cabin and cockpit. Not even a curtain. I was sitting in the front row and could watch the pilot and co-pilot the whole time. It was a 45-minute flight, once we leveled off the co-pilot actually pulled a smaller cooler out from behind his seat and offered drinks to the 10 or so of us on the flight.

2. maberger

maberger Member

johnstown PA, like a 24 seat prop plan that flew just above the tree line to and from pittsburgh.

the boarding passes all had "Gate 1" stamped on them, as if there were any other gate.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The one here in Burlington.

Three American Connection 16-seaters fly in and out (at least they used to, service won't be restored until next month). One gate, you get your luggage about five minutes after the plane lands.

Oh, and the fares were (and will be again, I'm sure) outrageous. It's cheaper for me to drive to Moline, Ill., and fly out of there.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and you survived?
    Mine: My hometown's piper pitstop, Mansfield (Ohio) Lahm Airport. Took some flying lessons in an old (read: archaic) Cessna there. Scary small, tho the Air National Guard flies off that tarmac as well.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

jacksonville NC; springfield IL; hagerstown MD; salisbury MD. take your pick.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Toronto Island Airport. Like a largish bus terminal.

Naples, Florida & Key West.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Surprisingly yes. Had to fly in and out of there many times back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was in a bad relationship with someone there.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Bradford, PA.
    Pilots had to do a hard bank in there to land, as it was on a hill.
    Hated it.

9. The Commish

The Commish Guest

I flew into Kearney, Nebraska, to meet up with my wife and son for the holidays at her parents, who still lived an hour to the south-southwest. Walking off the airplane, the bag was waiting outside, and it was bathroom, metal detector, door out to the parking lot.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Deer Lake, Nfld. The only one smaller than Gander, Nfld., which is an international airport -- although it may have lost its designation as such since I left. Gander has one gate, No. 34, which I could never figure out.

Of course, you should recognize the name Gander for two reasons:
    * Site of the Arrow Air crash of 1985 that killed about 160 USAF troops from the 101st Airborne
    * Site of Newfoundland hospitality for a number of stranded flights six years ago today

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Lawton, Okla. Baggage claim is a guy named Fred, who hauls your bags off the plane and slides them down this little slide to the floor below.

You can get anywhere you want from Lawton, Okla., four times a day, as long as it's DFW.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Athens, Ga. -- Two flights to and from Charlotte each day and that's it, at least it was a couple of years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted