1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small Plane Crashes into Building in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 18, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't understand all the attacks on YankeeFan. Those of you doing it are participating in what has ruined the board. He's done nothing other than post about the biggest news story of the day in a way no different than the Balloon Boy thread evolved.

The antagonists should check themselves at the door.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes it is irrational to assume anything before you have one smidgen of a fact to back it up. In fact, it's probably the very definition of the word irrational.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Give me a break. Back up that statement, if you can.

4. YankeeFan

Every speculation I made was based on news reports.

Maybe you weren't watching, but the facts as reported -- and pictured -- made it pretty clear that the odds of this being an accident were extremely small.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just catching up on the thread.

This: IRS, CIA, & FBI have offices in the building.

Terrorism

Is some pretty baseless speculation. I don't really see the big deal about it, but it is.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Agreed. We should really be attacking Obama for allowing his terrorist allies to commit this attack.

7. YankeeFan

I appreciate it.

8. Bubbler

Pretty stupid to speculate on something as serious as terrorism.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right, cuz no one is doing that at the water cooler, over coffee, at lunch, or down at the corner bar right now.

Here's a website with what purports to be a rant by Joe Stack against the IRS:

http://embeddedart.com/

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Looks like domestic terrorism to me...

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2010/02/18/internet_note_posted_by_man_li.html

From the pilot:

"Sadly, though I spent my entire life trying to believe it wasn’t so, but violence not only is the answer, it is the only answer."

11. Bubbler

The people at the water cooler, over coffee, at lunch, or down at the corner bar are just as moronic as these baseless, hyperventilatory, speculative claims from YF are, he just has the forum to do a running thread as the piss runs down his leg.

What purpose does it serve until you have one FACT to back it up? And as of right now, there are no facts to back a terrorism claim, just a bunch of circumstantial information that can be deduced into just about anything.

At best, speculating about a terrorist attack is Chicken Little knock-kneed bullshit in its most scared form.

At worst? The propensity to shout "terrorism!" as the first option in something like this makes me wonder whether there's something inside the people who shout it who want it so their own fears are justified in some way.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Ah, another manifesto from a nut. And violence is certainly the answer. After this act, no one will have to pay taxes. Or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted