1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small college hoops shakeup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, May 13, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It isn't likely to catch much attention but Belmont is moving to the Ohio Valley Conference and they've been a pretty consistent NCAA tournament team.

They'll be joining Murray State, another pretty consistent NCAA tournament team.

Both are pretty good models in how to run a small college basketball program as both win tons of games and have pretty good fan support. In Belmont's case, huge support from Vince Gill who donated the money for the arena in Nashville.

The announcement came today and was a surprise, as near as I can tell. The OVC league office sent an e-mail out at 12:30 that a press conference was going to be held at 1 p.m.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be about Steve Fritz retiring from the national champion St. Thomas Tommies in D3 and Armchair_QB's subsequent weeping.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm weeping. Fritz's tenure at St. Thomas is nothing short but amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted