1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small airports suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was 28 when I was in Palau - 1998. I don't recall the runway being short. At least I didn't notice it.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

We used to have a thread on short flights, but I can't find it. A couple weeks ago, I took a 25-minute flight out of this airport (25-seater jet) that covered a 14-hour drive that encompassed all of 82 miles.

Bumthang to Paro, Bhutan.

Here's the entire airport, including the control tower. I have a better photo -- it includes the fire truck -- but haven't posted it yet to link it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The train station near my house his bigger than that joint and it's not a major stop on the Northeast transit corridor.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait, you were in "Bumthang?"

Was Kim Kardashian the patron saint? Or is that the next song from Iggy Azalea?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Any former Donrey people who flew to Fort Smith, Ark.?

I remember flying from SoCal to Dallas on a real plane then seeing the puddle jumper that took us the rest of the way.

Also, there was no security leaving Fort Smith. We didn't go though the metal detector until landing back in Dallas. The editor from Ely, Nev., who looked like you would picture the editor from Ely to look like, was wearing a big buck knife in a sheath on his belt. (pre 9-11, obviously)

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My worst business trip involved flying in and out of and staying in Ft. Smith. This was about 20 years ago, but apparently they didn't get many solo female diners at the TGIFriday's near my hotel. I was (truly) pointed and snickered at and told by my waitress (with a chuckle) that people assumed a woman eating by herself must be a prostitute.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Beautiful skies and very colorful photo. Wow.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Looks like a beautiful place.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why would 82 miles take 14 hours to drive?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I could imagine the terrain there could be fairly unforgiving. Poor roads, etc.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ignoring the trolling aspect because it is a legit question because people don't necessarily realize Bhutan is in the foothills of the Himalaya

82 miles as the crow flies. It's all mountains, filled with switchbacks. Slow going, no guardrails, steep cliffs, one lane-ish, Indians hand-building (or improving) the roads as you go.

At one stop, up at a temple, I looked down the road and saw the place we were stopping for tea. It looked less than a half a mile away. I was going toto walk, then decided to wait because we were leaving in five minutes anyway. Good thing. It was a 10-minute drive.

When we went from Thimphu to Bumthang (they really did pronounce it "Boom-thang"), we split it over four or so days, so we didn't drive it straight. But our guides left after dropping us at the airport at 11 a.m. and didn't get back until 3 a.m. to Paro.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fuck You. Hope your plane crashes on the next trip to Bumthang and you have to walk rest of way. ;)

Google directions shows trip at 5 hrs 38 minutes with no traffic:

via Bumthang - Ura Hwy5 h 38 min
    314 km5 h 38 min without traffic · Show traffic

Draft saved Draft deleted