1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small airports suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 14, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I once had to spend an hour and change there waiting for a friend to meet me after missing a flight. It was like 8:30 at night, so I figured I'd just grab a beer and wait for her to turn up.

Nope. The bars were all closed.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

I've flown into Palau, too. I was 13. Long time ago. I'm 39. Iirc it was a terrifyingly short runway. My dad was stationed in Japan and we were headed home, and took a vacation in Micronesia. The home bound flight went something like Truk, Palau, Majuro, Kwajalein, Honolulu. Or Guam. Can't remember. One of those airports had a runway that seemed about a football field long. Even as a kid, it was frightening.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Guessing that was on Northwest back in the day.

And the smallest airport I've flown a commercial flight into was a dirt strip in Belize with a corrugated shack that served as a terminal.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The old Dodgers plane in the late '70s early '80s had issues flying out of Vero Beach. I'm sure the folks in that row of houses at the end of the runway got an up-close look at the landing gear.
    At the end of spring training, everybody was limited to one suitcase. Any other luggage, golf clubs, extra satchel with media guides, etc., had to go on an equipment truck that took several days to get back to L.A.
    Everything and everybody had to be weighed in on that getaway day.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

DTW is awesome. Whenever I fly west from my current location I go through there.

I work at an airport, not a small one, that is the worst in the US.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll put in a word for Akron-Canton airport. I haven't been there in a few years, but I have sometimes thought it might even makes sense to fly there and drive up to Cleveland. Quick as all hell to get in and out of. I laughed one year when I walked to the end of the terminal to the car rental counter and they told me to walk outside to a Spot X, where the car would be waiting with the keys in the ignition. I walked outside to find a parking lot full of cars with keys in the ignition and no gate or system to stop anyone from just hopping in a car and driving away. It ain't Miami Airport, that's for sure.

The flip side to that is Harrisburg International. Not quite as small, but just have never had a good experience there. Last time there, the guy at the car rental counter typed about 100,000 more characters than I have ever typed for a post on here, and still had me standing there for another 20 minutes for what should have been a simple, "Swipe the credit card, sign the paper, give him the keys" transaction. I still don't know why the guy had to retype War and Peace in order to rent me a car.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

leo1 is right. Miami is the worst for me, by far. Just depressing.

I loved Milwaukee. Course, I flew out in the middle of the day, but the bookstore was worth it on its own.

And KC is horrible. It also has the individual gate security, with no bathrooms inside. So if you check in, then have to go to the bathroom, you have to go back through security. Sucks.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Denver International Airport has good and bad characteristics;

The actual airport itself is easy to navigate...good variety of restaurants/bars/shops.

The area around it (right now) is a cluster fuck. So much construction around that place, if you miss a turn, basically just go back to the main gate, and start over.

Oh, and the fact that you almost drive into fucking Wyoming is another negative.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The few times I have flown into Minneapolis-St. Paul has been in January. You could just sense the people on the plane knowing how brutally cold it was.....had a real peach for a pilot one time.....told us on approach that temperature was -8 in the middle of the afternoon, but that it was sunny and 82 in Miami.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Only "bad" experience came in Miami.
    Flew back from Merida, Mexico on my way back to college in Iowa in February 1991. Got into Miami around 10:30 or 11 p.m. for my connecting flight, but my connecting flight wasn't until seven hours later.
    Nothing was open, not even bars, which I found strange for an international airport.
    Remember, this is right after Gulf War I, so there were constant messages over the PA about unattended luggage being taken outside and destroyed.
    Wound up sleeping on top of my bags in the waiting area and boarding my plane just before dawn.
    I was the only passenger on the flight north to Daytona, where we picked up more passengers and headed home.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Miami may be the most fucked-up major airport in America. Signage that doesn't make sense. Employees who speak two or more languages but don't speak English. Shuttle/taxi pick-up is a zoo. Moving between some terminals means having to go back through security.

Was on a flight out of there a few years ago where we backed away from the gate about 10 feet and had stop because a pair of service vehicles ran into each other behind us and they had to clear the accident scene before we could move. Took about an hour.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Back when you couldn't drive 500 yards out of the rental car parking lot without getting car jacked, I remember getting thoroughly quizzed about where I was going and how I was getting there before they'd let me drive the car away. Ah, Miami Airport.

Draft saved Draft deleted