1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smacked in the puss with a ham. And of course, I laugh.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 24, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091124/ap_en_tv/us_odd_people_paula_deen

Food Network Chef Paula Deen is unloading meat for an Atlanta food bank. Someone tosses one of the hams like a football and she takes it in the puss. I read it and laugh (which makes me a bad person, as opposed to someone who is volunteering at a food bank). In part, I think, "serves you animal eaters right" (I don't eat meat for ethical concerns). But mostly, the thought of it just made me laugh.

Does it at least qualify as a somewhat normal feeling of Schadenfreude, or am I damned to hell?

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Please tell me she's lost the ability to speak because of this!

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

1. What ethical concerns? And I'm genuinely curious, not just trying to start one of those SJ pissing matches.
    2. No, of course not. (The hell thing.) It's funny. Laugh away.

4. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

You're welcome

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's fine to laugh. I'd have the same reaction if I saw Jonathan Safran Foer smacked in the face by a tree branch.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why is an animal's life more valuable than a vegetable's?
    When you harvest carrots, you kill the plants. They're dead just like a cow or pig is when it is harvested.

7. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

I am offended, sir!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lord, I shouldn't haven't thrown it in there. I wasn't looking to have that debate. In fact, I don't have the debate with people I know because it goes nowhere.

I do what I think is right. You do what you think is right. Let's leave it at that. ...And hope neither of us gets smacked in the face with a flying animal carcass.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There's more coincidental irony: Paula Deen is a spokesman (person?) for Smithfield Ham.

There was a bit of controversy a couple of years ago because workers at the plant were trying to unionize. Deen either took the company side or just pretended that the struggle didn't exist. I don't remember exactly. Anyway, union folks would picket her public appearances.

So, this isn't the first tme she's been smacked by a ham.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Mmmmm ... ham.

11. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

Heathen!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You vegetarians are so touchy.

Draft saved Draft deleted