1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sly Stone in Vanity Fair

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Huggy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Vanity Fair catches up to Sly Stone in its August issue. Long but worth it...

If Rolling Stone still gave a shit this is the kind of story they'd hit out of the park.

http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/features/2007/08/sly200708

2. The greatest soul-funk band ever.
    Nobody's close.
    All the squares, go home!
    On the other hand, the writer seems pleased with himself.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

DANCE to the Music!
    Which I am doing right now just thinking about ol' Sly.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agreed, but George Clinton and Paralamint are a close second. Sly's music is still kicks today when you hear it. Hope his new album is a great as his old stuff.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I happen to love OutKast, but younger people who claim that band is original... forget about it! The minute I heard "Mrs. Jackson", I was like "They sound like Sly!"

I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

6. I do dig on the Funk Mob, as the kids say, but every trick they know they learned from Sly.
    "Stand/Don't you know that you are free?/Well, at least in your mind, if you want to be."
    Not a bad sentiment for the 4th, now that I mention it.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So, how's the family?

And Parliament isn't bad, either.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only thing I will say Funkadelic didn't cop from Sly Stone was the guitar stylings of Eddie Hazel (Maggot Brain, etc.).

Of course they copped that from Jimi Hendrix.

Parliament was definitely a Sly & The Family Stone antecedent. But both are great.

As for the article, I couldn't get through it since the writer kept making the story more about his observations than Sly's. Insufferable.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How you know he didn't mean Paralamint? Huh? Huh? You heard of every group? Maybe it is a garage band in his area.
    I think the full name was Paralamint Chocolate Chip. I'll go look it up on Amazon.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

LOL!

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Nice.

I love Paralamint's song Cap Gun.

12. lono

lono Active Member

If someone works in a baseball reference, I think this thread would count as an Official Outing, Senior Division.

Draft saved Draft deleted