1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slut shaming in the Buffalo News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SBR

SBR Member

I guess the accuser's lawyer is in on the conspiracy to protect Kane now too.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

One thing I noted from the reports today was the mention of turning over "Brady" evidence to Kane's lawyer. Google tells me that Brady evidence is "exculpatory or impeaching information and evidence that is material to the guilt or innocence or to the punishment of a defendant." Can someone translate that from law into layman for be please? If you have such evidence that is exculpatory, my instinct is you wouldn't bring charges to begin with, but clearly that's not the case.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It wouldn't necessarily be determinative. For example, there may be a witness who says that Kane was in another room, but three others who say he was in the room. The statement from the witness supporting Kane may be outweighed, in front of a jury, by the three that say otherwise. But you still have to turn it over.

(As to your last point, it might indeed be the case here, as no charges have been brought.)

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mixture of DNA ...

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah we are way past that now. As Dick noted, that "mixture" could be from the preceding five years.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wrote that as I was going through last 7 pages. Old cum.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rape allegations really do educate us on things we didn't need to know, don't they?

Big Circus and Songbird like this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Kaner gets a nice welcome in Philly:

9. Dick Whitman

That's been in every visiting arena. Usually it's "No means no!"

My best friend was wearing a Blackhawks jersey in St. Louis recently and said he got the "No means no" chant from other guys at bars.

10. Dick Whitman

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Let's try again. And stay on the Kane story

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted