1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slut shaming in the Buffalo News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dick, you really don't see the difference between leaks of official information gathered by a hands-on, first-hand investigation and the recollections of a bar owner with an extremely vested interest in Kane's "innocence" who admits he doesn't even know who the woman is he's talking about?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The News should have given more context, as I've said. But Kane's whereabouts and actions that night are perfectly within bounds, even if they include the accuser.

3. Dick Whitman

I know that only one of those two entities put his name to his information.

SBR likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Typically a news outlet would provide this context, particularly when it involves a financial connection and when it is so easy to find.

In this case there's no "this part was OK but they should have done this." If they didn't do the whole thing, it's awful journalism.

The guy was a willing participant in the first phase of the Kane defense's smear campaign. And so was the News.

franticscribe and cranberry like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

Yeah, the one who admitted he doesn't actually know jack shit.

6. Dick Whitman

Let me ask this: What public defense is Kane permitted to mount? Accusers are to be believed, right? No matter what. We learned that during the Rolling Stone affair. So he can't argue that she consented. In the he-said/she-said battle, she is the presumed winner.

So where does that leave him? A de facto spokesman telling us that he was being a gentleman, and she was acting interested. Aggressive even. It'a inartful and uncomfortable, but it's all he has.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I have told my sons to think twice about having sex with women they barely know. Among the drawbacks is they might accuse them of rape.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  8. MisterCreosote

Yeah. Let's please try to remember who the real victim is here.

9. Dick Whitman

10. LongTimeListener

Dick, everything you say is perfectly reasonable for the court case.

It is not the responsibility of the Buffalo News to mount Kane's defense.

11. Dick Whitman

They report the accusations and evidence against him. Why not his defense? Why the imbalance?

12. LongTimeListener

Then they should issue a full report, not "here's what a friend of his says but we're not going to mention that Kane brings the Cup to the guy's bar."

With about three minutes of work, they would have been able to poke holes in what the guy saw and what his motivation was.

Draft saved Draft deleted