1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slut shaming in the Buffalo News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Alleged rape victim.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Noted. I see accuracy in this matter is your main concern.

EddieM likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

My head just might explode.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right. As Ace said, it's likely 50-50.

And, one more time, regardless of whether it's her or not, the bar owner's observations have fuck-all to do with whether she was raped or not.

Ace and HC like this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jesus, DW. I bet even PW2 would agree you're being a misogynist jerk on this thread.

6. SBR

SBR Member

The paper is reporting on allegations, and investigating what happened that night, and reporting what they learned. From that perspective I don't see why you wouldn't report the bar owner's observations.

It's only victim-blaming if you presume there is a victim. But as Mr. Croce sagely points out: “This is America, the place where you are still innocent until proven guilty."

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You have to go to the other thread. Kane is a fucking lout over there.

Thoughts?

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

If he did it, lock him up and throw away the key.

But she is accusing someone of a serious crime, one that can end his life as he has known it. An assessment of her credibility is well within the pale. It's essential even.

9. Dick Whitman

He is. I don't know that that makes him a rapist. And I certainly don't think newspapers should be in the business of withholding potentially relevant, exculpatory evidence.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Publishing a bartender's derogatory opinion about a woman who may or may not have been the accuser wasn't within the pale. Not by a long shot. There will be plenty of opportunity for Kane's defense team to discuss and question the accuser's credibility in an appropriate setting. The newspaper allowed itself to be used by someone who seems to have an agenda. It was a terrible decision to publish those quotes.

Ace and franticscribe like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

And there will be plenty of opportunity for the prosecution to discuss and question Kane's credibility in an appropriate setting. He hasn't even been charged. But no one here seems to have a problem with the slow leak out of the D.A.'s office.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That's the owner with Kane. After the allegations came out, they took the post down.

Yeah, just a bystander account from a guy with no vested interest at all. Solid journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted