1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slut shaming in the Buffalo News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No? Then keep it to your fucking self until you can.

"The idea is that hitting more home runs makes it more likely that steroids are being used by the hitter."

Nothing ethically wrong with that sentence?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Uh, Dick.

Your first point: WHY QUOTE THE GUY AT ALL IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S HER?

Your second point: You make a very good point. IF IT WERE HE 19TH FRIGGIN' CENTURY.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The News should print these cartoons, or at least have its staff look at them:

[​IMG]

I Should Coco, HC and Ace like this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This was my immediate thought when I first heard two talk-show hosts today discussing the quotes.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

A defense attorney would call the bar owner to testify only if it is the same woman - something we don't know yet, and The News acknowledges they don't know in the story. And I never said the News should ignore it. There's more reporting that needed to be done before those were published, and that reporting might have lead to a responsible decision not to publish them.

Making the assumption that you seem to be making - that it is the same woman - his comments still would not serve to discredit her in a court of law, unless she denies being flirtatious at the bar. Their introduction would be used by a defense attorney - assuming they are even relevant, and they can be brought in - to try to plant the very seed that your own comment reflects: she was flirtatious at the bar, so the defendant must've thought she wanted it, therefore no criminal intent, or maybe she did want it and later regretted it, therefore no crime. Except, the barkeep wasn't at the guy's house. It's an attempt to justify behavior.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The first point: Because it helps track Patrick Kane's activities throughout the night in question. Was he starting fights? Was he being a horn dog and hitting on everything that moves? Did he get kicked out? Was he pursuing this woman from table to table?

And I'm right about the second point. That she was allegedly acting interested does not raise the likelihood that consent was granted from, say, 10 percent to 100 percent. Or even from 10 percent to 50 percent. But it might raise it from 10 percent to 20 percent, hypothetically speaking. And if so, that's significant, particularly when compared to other scenarios on the spectrum of possibilities, such as her trying to get away from him.

We're also jumping to the conclusion that the story told by the bar owner necessarily discredits the alleged victim. It also can serve as evidence that she did leave with Patrick Kane that night.

7. Dick Whitman

Right. That's what I'm saying. That's why it's relevant to report. And I'm not saying the News story doesn't have problems, namely the one mentioned here the most: Was it the same woman? Circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate it was.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe the bar owner was just trying to make an ironic statement about athletes and rape culture.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he was starting fights or hitting on women, would that make it more or less likely that he raped someone later?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they didn't report what she was wearing.

11. Dick Whitman

More likely.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well that's at least as good an indicator of how rapey someone is as a bar owner's general impression of someone's skankiness to determine whether she's a rape victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted