1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slump-busting blowup dolls in the White Sox locker room: offensive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 6, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I see a huge difference between stuffed gorillas put up for MLK Day and blowup dolls in a baseball clubhouse. We'll just agree to disagree, Fenian.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

a) WTA locker rooms are closed to all.
    b) WNBA locker rooms are open to all, for about 20 minutes after the game. Then they're closed so that players can shower and dress in privacy.

I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. ::)

3. You are correct in all things, o unjustly accused third-sacker.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

WNBA locker rooms are indeed open, and while it's not nudity central like a men's locker room, it's not like everyone is fully dressed either.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If offensive blow-up dolls will get the Sox to throw more one-hitters, I say blow-up dolls for everyone. Hell, Blow-Up Doll Night at the Cell can't be any worse than Disco Demolition Night at Old Comiskey, right?

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I don't know if Carol Slezak has bad vibes about going into the Sox locker room, but Jay Mariotti does.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please let's not make this about women in the locker room.

Here's the issue: It's an embarrassing distraction. It's a team joke that should have stayed with the team, out of view of the media.

You want to shove a bat up the ass of giant sex toy, be prepared for someone to a) write about it and b) take offense.

MLB has enough image problems in the wake of Mitchell, someone is going to sent to the principal for this.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Stick to the bestiality dioramas ... those pets can't put together a column worth a shit and nobody cares if they're offended.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The thing is, a locker room is not exactly like an office. A locker room or clubhouse is almost by definition a place where coarse, raunchy language and actions take place, and anyone who ventures in there ought to know that. The dolls fall under the heading of fairly common locker room behavior, IMO, and I don't think the White Sox need to apologize for it. You can't tell someone they shouldn't be offended, but if ballplayers doing naughty things to blow up dolls is really upsetting to you, it probably means you should just stay out of locker rooms.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If this is "offensive" I want every bachelorette party that's seen lugging a male blow up doll from bar to bar, which is seen in every city on every weekend in the country, just as scrutinized. I want the people called and I want this people cornered and told how offensive what they're doing is. How you just wanted to go out and have a beer with the guys and bitch about your job and instead had plastic, inflatable sex jammed into your face.

We all live a lot longer if people would lighten the hell up.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Sigh.
    I'm going to assume you're not a sports journalist, because if you are, you're an idiot. An uneducated idiot who should know the basic laws of equal access. If I or any other female sports journo can interview Maria in the locker room, and a security guard keeps you out because of your gender, you better raise bloody hell BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!
    Honestly, do your home work before you get in this business.
    Rant over ... I'm not offended by blow up dolls because I know sensible, smart men don't equate them with real women. But the players should have been smart enough to take their little plastic playthings into one of the many rooms where media isn't allowed, and it wouldn't be an issue. But if they have them in the common room, where the media and others (including medical staff, trainers, PR people) do their business, then it is everyone's office. Again, that's what the courts say.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted