1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slumdog Millionaire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just came back.

Best picture so far, by far.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and loved it. Like Elliotte's fiancee, one of the reasons I wanted to see it was Howard Stern's recommendation. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What, is this "Twist the knife in IJAG's heart" day??

Come on, Dyno.

[​IMG]

*sigh*

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, IJAG. I meant no harm...

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have heard it's not bad, but if Stern is flogging it, that alone may be enough to keep me away.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That was my knee-jerk reaction, but then I realized it would be like never eating ice cream because I saw Howard Stern having some.

It was good, but not a Best of '08. Enjoyed the Batman movie, In Bruges, Iron Man, Wall-E, Penn's performace in Milk (although Slumdog is a much better film overall) more. Looking forward to Frost/Nixon, Mickey Rourke wrestling movie and Synecdoche. Not a bad year for movies.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I didn't think Wall-E is even in Pixar's top 5.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Only thing I knew about it heading in today was it had something to do with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? and everyone loves it.

Totally different than what I expected. Most amazing aspect to me was seeing the conditions in which the poor of Mumbai live.

Been a long time since I watched a movie where most of the audience sat through all the closing credits.

You know it's a good movie when you see the ending coming a mile away and yet everyone in the audience acts as surprised as they were at the end of The Sixth Sense.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Caught this last night. Very, very good movie. Refreshingly different in both its narrative and visual style. Great music and camerawork. India's wild. Good story. Go see it. You won't regret it, even if Howard Stern recommends.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

FYI: I just got my hands on an actual DVD copy of Slumdog. My father got the chance to go to India for the premiere and it was absolutely nuts, Already out on DVD in India.
    Amazing that it took Bollywood star Anil Kapoor this long to get famous in North America (he plays the host of the game show in the movie). I have seen many of his Bollywood films and it is due time he gets recognition for his work. 1492 was a fantastic movie which he was the lead actor in and I recommend that if any of you get a chance..get a subtext copy to see.

However, even though I am glad for Kapoor, Amitabh Bachachan should have played the host since he is the best Bollywood actor to ever live and he does host Who wants to be a Millionaire in India.

11. Welcome back.

Draft saved Draft deleted