1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slumdog Millionaire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by westcoastvol, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I think the over-analysis of this film is getting a little silly. Whomever said it was Dickensean got it right. But I can just imagine if Tale of Two Cities were published today...

I just don't buy it that Syndey Carton and Charles Darnay looked so much alike. Totally absurd that no one would have noticed when they were taking Carton to the guillotine. Also, they probably would have had procedures to make sure this kind of switcheroo up didn't occur.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's just a discussion about what works with the film and what doesn't.
    It's not overanalysis to say 'I enjoyed but I didn't like this part or that part.'
    It is called discussion.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dickens this ain't.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really hope the negative press the movie has received in the last couple of weeks isn't tied to a PR firm with a competing film in the Oscar hunt. I've seen four of the five nominees (haven't seen The Reader) and Slumdog is far and away the best of the bunch.
    Nixon/Frost was interesting but failed to scratch the surface of Nixon.
    Button was an "epic" without a compelling script.
    Milk was very good, but didn't surprise me.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Taking Oscar history since 1990, I agreed with a number of Best Picture winners, disagreed with others. Normal stuff. But of the Best Pictures since that arbitrary point in time, the only three winners I'd rate below SM would be Dances With Wolves, Forrest Gump and Crash.

Different strokes, I know. But artistic tastes vary, and I'm not looking to lose any friends over it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It all depends on the year, a lot of movies "got hot" and peaked at Oscar time and really don't have much cultural significance less than a decade after release. What I enjoyed about Slumdog is that it captured a time and place pretty well. India's booming economy contrasted with the misery of the slums, ethnic tensions, reality shows..., I look back at a list of nominees for Best Picture from the last 20 years, and it's a safe bet that there is a non-winner or two each year I'd rather see again ahead of the movie that won the thing.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Since '90, I've agreed with seven winners. During that time, I've never hated
    EVERY Best Pic nom, though some years I could only tolerate one of the films
    (notably '90, '96 and '99).

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

* The host was a great role
    * I know it weaved into the narrative, but the final question was way too easy for a final question. It's clear that even Slumdogs were at least assigned to read the book.
    * The older brother looked like an Asian Emile Hirsch

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I dunno... the first million dollar question on the American "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" was "Which president said 'Sock it to me?' on TV's 'Laugh In'?" To me, that's ten times easier than the 3rd Musketeer (which I got wrong while watching the movie).

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just saw it today in the theater. A great, great movie. One of the best I've ever seen. I loved the way it was filmed, I loved the storyline and even though the ending was a bit too tied up, it wasn't really with the brother getting killed.

Anyway, that is definitely the best drama I've seen in many years, possibly my lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted