1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slumdog Million-oops!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fox has decided to take the special features off any DVDs it sells to rental companies.

Problem is, it apparently forgot to put the right DVDs in the right packages and now people who actually bought the DVD have received the copies without the special features.

Way to go, Fox! Congrats on screwing ALL your customers when you were only trying to screw half!

http://www.examiner.com/x-3882-Des-Moines-Movie-Reviews-Examiner~y2009m4d5-The-search-for-the-missing-special-features-on-Slumdog-Millionaire-DVDs

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saw this movie for a second time over the weekend.

Good film, but I'm still stunned at how popular it became.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I tried watching it again, wondering what I missed that I absolutely despised it.

I think I hate it even more after a second mostly-viewing. (I still couldn't make it through the whole thing)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if I had seen it with no build-up, I would have liked it a lot more than I did.

5. JR

JR Active Member

It had all the ingredients of a popular film with a little exotica thrown in (Hindi with English subs).

I wasn't surprised by the popularity, but I was surprised by all the gushing reviews. It was a good film, even a terrific film but it wasn't the best movie of all Oscar Winners in the last fifteen years as someone here suggested.

BTW, saw "Frozen River" last week. If you haven't seen it, rent it. Melissa Leo is fabulous.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yeah, that kind of exageration seems completely out of place around here.

7. I did see it early on, and Mizzou's point is right on, I think.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a good film regardless - but I also think it hit theaters at a time where it resonated (Recession, a need for the country to feel good, etc.) more than it might have if people were coming to the theater with a different mindset.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Agreed, there was no way it could have ever lived up to the hype that EVERYONE was giving it. I honestly didn't like it all that much.

As far as the special features thing goes, do people actually watch them? I have over 90 films in my collection and have only watched the special features on two of them (Heat and the Godfather films) and almost all my films have them.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've watched the special features on about half the movies in my collection. Some of them are worth their own DVD -- for instance, the Field of Dreams features with George Brett, etc. The new Eight Men Out release has a couple of excellent features, too.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've watched all of them at least once, including all of the extras and commentaries on all of the extended versions of the LOTR movies.

I probably should be in the movie business, given my interest in all that crap.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The director commentary on Heat was amazing. So cool to hear Michael Mann talk about each scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted