1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slowest weekend of the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Word. There's also a couple of weekends in mid-July where there's nothing more than regular-season MLB going on. Wimbledon is done, nobody cares about the Tour de France anymore, and even NASCAR has an off week tucked in there. In our neck of the woods, there's not even high school sports workouts to scratch something from because the state has a dead period, and the youth baseball tournaments are winding down. Mid-July is the slowest, by a wide margin.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How is it a throwdown when the Nats are 151/2 games back?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas began preseason scrimmages this weekend.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Solheim Cup is a decent watch for good golf plus the choke factor (and Colorado Golf Club looks great), but I really wish the U.S. team would dress like adults and not middle schoolers with the face decals, matching hair ribbons, etc.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

School just started here this week, no football until Labor Day weekend. Good thing, since we are under monsoon watch and I don't think folks here are ready for a mosoon if one hits. Kicked off football previews this weekend, and think we've written as much about volleyball than we will all season. Up next: Water polo.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Short shorts, tight shirts, and long tan legs...why are we complaining?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nope. Not much of a basketball fan, although I recognize it has a following in some parts. And, sorry, I totally forgot the WNBA was still in season.

And, yeah, high school football scrimmages don't exactly get my blood pumping, not at this age. Not if it means spending 2-3 hours in 90+ degree heat.

But, hey, to each his own.

Like Batman said, in a non-Olympic year, it's pretty slim pickings from the end of Wimbledon until right before Labor Day unless you're a baseball fan. There are a couple of golf majors and the FedEx Cup playoffs start next week, but this week's PGA field is pretty tame.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The pending fight, not the game. I think the Braves hit Harper twice last night. Upton was hit at the start of tonight's game. They squared up (at the foul lines) a couple of nights ago.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Come to find out, apparently, Strasburg has been tossed for throwing at batters, and it's just the top of the 4th.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

As a Braves fan, this is my time of year to sit in anticipation of the September collapse. I don't care if they are first in the NL East by 15.5 games.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In order for the Braves to lose this, there has to be someone ready to take over, and nothing I've seen from the Nats, Phillies or Mets indicates that they can pick up the slack if/when Atlanta starts to choke. I think this one's in the bag. Now, October? Yeah, that's Heartbreak City for Braves fans.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chael Sonnen just won a fight, haven't seen that in a while. Who was the brainiac who thought a VA mortgage outlet sponsorship would be a good thing to have across his butt given his real estate issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted