1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slowest weekend of the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In a non-Olympic year, this might be the slowest sports weekend of the year

There's the world track championships, a run-of-the-mill PGA Tour event, the Little League World Series. Major League Baseball is still in the dog days, with no games that can truly be called critical. NFL is in the second week of preseason games, with the regulars usually playing less than a half.

Probably a good weekend to turn off the tube and do something else before things heat up in a few weeks.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

One of the greatest weekends of the year, actually!
    BPL season starts.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always a big vacation week in my family - the last blowout before school starts. Don't know how many times I watched the International from Colorado with the stableford scoring system that used to have this weekend.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I liked that tournament. Wish they would bring it back.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a day trip, Richie Havens' ashes are being scattered to the wind at Woodstock tomorrow.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Woodstock is more like a 5-day trip from my corner of the world. And I have no idea who Richie Havens is (athlete, musician, actor, politician???)

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I meant anyone within a 100-mile radius of Woodstock, who enjoyed Havens' music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fA51wyl-9IE

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

NHRA is in Brainerd. NASCAR is at Michigan. Premier League kicked off. Solheim Cup is going on. Braves and Nats are going to have a throwdown tonight. I ran a 5K this morning. Friday night was high school football jamboree night.

Nope. Pretty busy sports weekend.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

YAWN!!

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A lot of states start high school football this weekend, right? That alone is enough to make me say it's not that slow. There's also a full slate of NFL preseason games and a bunch of college scrimmages. And the Cincinnati Masters (OK, Western & Southern Open), U.S. gymnastics championships and the track and field you noted all produce plenty to put into the newspaper. Plus, there's a Yankees-Red Sox series, which may not mean much in the standings but definitely still draws the hype.

The August 4 weekend, which featured NASCAR's worst track (Pocono Raceway), one NFL preseason game (the Hall of Fame game), lower-tier tennis tournaments and little else interesting, is my pick.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Some places are playing regular-season high school games this weekend?!?!? The only place I heard of starting that early is Alaska (and Canada). It's in the mid 90s here, so not wanting to be outside for long durations.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

To each his own. You probably think the NBA or NCAA Tournament is a big deal. YAWN.

Draft saved Draft deleted