1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow pitch rules question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Bases loaded, nobody out.

Batter hits to RF, fielder dives but misses the ball. Chaos ensues.

All runners advance a bag but the batter runs all the way to second. He and another girl are standing on second.

Defence touches the base and claims there are two outs on the play. One for two runners on the base and another because the batter who went to second has now decided to retreat to first.

Huh?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Second base belongs to the lead runner. Tag the dude out, that's it. If no one is tagged, no one is out. So if they touch the base thinking that's a force out, the dude has the right to go back to first. It's up to the defense to tag him out before he gets back.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Fuck I knew it. They didn't tag anyone.

Our team tried to argue that point but the other team was convinced they were right. It was starting to get heated so I decided it was Division E co-ed slow pitch, let them have the outs. It likely cost us the game.

By the way, does that mean that if I get to third but nobody's behind me, I could hypothetically run back to second and stay there if I so choose? I know it happens when you have to tag up all the time, but had never encountered it in this regard.

Thanks for the help. I knew I could get a quick answer from someone here!

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So the umpire took the other team's word as gospel?

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

No umpire. Div. E, as in exceptionally drunk half the time.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

With neither team backing down it was going to get ugly quick. In retrospect I should have pulled out my iPhone and googled the rule, we would have had an answer within a minute.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Geez, another rules question. I was certain I was right on this one but the rules seem to disagree with me.

Situation: Runner beats the throw to first, runs past the base, but turns two steps into fair territory as he walks casually back to the bag.

The first baseman sees this and tags him, claiming he's out. Umpire (remember, umpires in this league are players from the hitting team) says he's safe, claiming the rule is subjective and what matters is the runner's intent, in this case his intent was not to round the bag but to walk back to first.

I end up getting involved and agree with the fielders, much to the dismay of the umpire, my teammate.

Who was right?

MLB rules state: 7.08: Any runner is out when - (a) (2) after touching first base, he leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base; and (j) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position, and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on appeal, when he or the base is tagged;

SPN (slow pitch) rules state: Sec. 8 A BASERUNNER MAY BE PUT OUT IF: B. After reaching first base, the batter-baserunner’s momentum causes him to overrun or overslide first base, the batter-baserunner then makes an attempt to start toward second base, before returning to retouch first base.
    Sec. 12 BASERUNNERS ARE NOT OUT: A. When a batter-baserunner overruns or overslides first base and immediately returns to that base.

I was always taught you veer to the right after first because if you veer to the left, even a step, you're in fair territory and can be tagged out. But if it's the umpire's discretion, then in this case the umpire called him safe.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Nevermind, answered my own question. I'm wrong:

http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_rules/base_runner_rules1.aspx

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You may want to brush up on your rules before the next game already. Indeed, as long as there's no hint of a move toward second base the runner is fine. Simply turning in that direction is meaningless.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And you your scholarship.

:)

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Answers:

There is no rule for an out just because there are two people on the bag. Rule says that two players can't occupy the same base. The base belongs to the runner that last legally occupied the base. In this case, that is the lead runner. Tag the batter-runner and he's out.

If you advance to third legally, you cannot retreat to second. Meaning you can't just go back. Now, if you're at third (or past it, like trying to score) cause you took off on a fly ball and it's caught, yes you can retreat to second, but you must tag third REGARDLESS if you touched it originally on the way back to second.

Third, overrunning first, the intent is the key to the batter-runner being put out on a tag. He has to attempt to advance to second to lose protection. Common sense says turn right to avoid anyone thinking you're trying to advance. But turning left in of itself does not remove protection.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You can go back to the previous base if you're Manny Ramirez:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6S4DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=manny+steal+first+base&source=bl&ots=W4eTZUhPzK&sig=Z3LfQ5Upvz1iHlBcxawd8uJAtTQ&hl=en&ei=l2NITaHTJ8XEgQeT4PiWBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=manny%20steal%20first%20base&f=false

This article also describes why a rule was instituted in 1920 to make it illegal to go back to the base you came from once you made it safely to the next base if you are trying to trick the defense or make a travesty of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted