1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow golf revisted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 11, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Country club golf; 1.5 hours for the front 9, sit down lunch for 30-45 mins; refreshed, 1.5 hours for back 9. Heaven.

Rest of us? Pray for invitations and then make do with the public courses hoping that you will not get backed up.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Cure for slow play? Fire a warning shot into the group in front of you.
    I was playing a 9-holer as a single with a drivable par 4 and smoked a 3-wood about 10 yards short of the green and it rolled up and on. Didn't have to wait the rest of the round.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

These days, a lot of clubs will let you on if you write to them. <i>Just one round, please</i>. You'll get it. Not an email, but a typed letter.

Try it sometime. It actually works. Not at Augusta. But it's worked for me, at two places that would...surprise you.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

My interest has piqued. You must explain further.

Tips guy annoys me:
    Some courses explain which handicaps should use which tees. Wonderful idea. I'm an 11 handicap and unless the course rating (68.0), slope (112) and yardage (6300) is close to those numbers, you bet your ass I'm playing the men's tees.

Some of my friends I play with are around where I shoot, yet need to play the tips on much tougher courses.

1. I didn't pay $50 to be miserable.
    2. When I get my handicap into single digits and I'm shooting under 80 consistely from the middle tees, I'll meet you on the tips.
    3. I don't understand why guys like that need to make me feel emasculated?

Back to the thread topic, I HATE playing with people who do not know about golf course etiquette. By the way, the idea that the Old Course where met must be at least a 24-handicapper is awesome. More American courses should have this.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

From the Seattle Times:

By Sonia Krishnan
    Seattle Times staff reporter
    A 33-year-old man has been booked into King County Jail after he allegedly struck a fellow golfer on the head with a 6-iron club during a fight Sunday on the Auburn Golf Course.

The victim, James Compton, 45, of Puyallup, lay on the 14th green "bleeding profusely," as a friend applied direct pressure to his head with a blood-soaked bandage, according to court documents. Compton was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center and remains in the intensive-care unit, where he was listed today in serious condition.

The suspect, Nicholas Shampine, of Puyallup, is being held on $50,000 bail for investigation of first-degree assault. A spokesman for the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office said the deadline for filing criminal charges in the assault is Wednesday."

According to police, Compton, his two stepsons and a friend complained to the golf course marshall because the group of golfers ahead of them was playing too slowly, court records show. Shampine was part of that group.

A heated argument then escalated between the two groups of men, and Shampine's brother and Compton got into a shoving match, according to court documents.

Shampine "snapped" and "charged at Compton to protect his brother," records show. He swung his 6-iron at Compton's head, "striking him hard." Officers noted that the club's shaft was bent, documents show.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wow. Here's more from another paper:

From: http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/aub/news/25477224.html

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heartwarming tale.

I had a guy get into a shouting match with a guy in the group behind when he hit into us. I was standing on the green of a 280-yard short par-4 when a ball plopped right behind me. Playing partner waited for the group to approach and laid into this big guy, claiming he had been hitting into us all day (I hadn't noticed any other times). Big guy says, in deep redneck twang, "look at your scorecard- it's a PAR 4!" My partner said there's no way he should tee off knowing we were on the green and knowing how far hits it. Big guy said "fuck off" and we walked away, since he was a big friggin' guy. At least we got a punchline out of it with his "scorecard" bit.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I like the "6 iron" detail.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A playing partner of mine -- a friend of a friend with serious anger issues -- responded to the group behind us hitting into to us twice by firing balls at them on the green from the next tee. If was a blind shot and these guys couldn't see us. Luckily, no one was hurt and we hustled the guy off the course.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

having been drilled in the back of the neck by a golf ball (unintentionally, but it still hurts like hell), i would say that it's not wise to hit intentionally into the group in front of you. ever. It's just ignorant.
    Handle the situation by telling the marshall or calling the pro shop.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got hit in the side of the head just off the tee box once. I duffed one and went to pick it up, then paused to let a friend hit. I'm about 20 yards behind him and only 5 or so yards in front of the box, only way he can hit me is to make a horrific swing. He did and I fell to the ground in a heap. Took me a few seconds to get up, the ranger came running over and thought I was dead.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The last time I played golf we were about 255 out on a par 5, the group ahead was on the green and it was looking a lot like rain so I told my cousin to go ahead and hit -- neither of us thought he had any chance of getting to the green.

Of course, he takes out his 3-wood and scorches it and flies it through the group and nearly kills the one guy as it buzzes past his head and hits the green.

Now they are all pissed off but my cousin quickly drove up and apologized to them and they were cool about it. They even cheered for him from the next tee box when he knocked down the short eagle putt.

It could have been an ugly scene -- either if the ball had hit the one guy in the head from that far out or if they got beligerent about it and wanted to make an issue out of it.

Those things can happen -- but there was one example of a guy probably better off being safe and NOT hitting when he is within 260 yards because he is capable of getting it there, albeit it took an incredible shot.

As a side note -- the other three of us in the foursome also hit and the group on the green never knew it because none of us came even close to hitting the green........

Draft saved Draft deleted