1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow golf revisted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Are you against sprinkler heads telling you the distance? Or carrying a yardage book? It's the same principle.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

GPS still doesn't solve the fact that 90 percent of suck golfers under club. "Lets see, it's 145 to the front of the green. I'll hit a pitching wedge." Yeah, okay Vijay, I'll see you on the green after I hit a 7 iron from the same distance.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yep, same principle, just a different delivery mechanism, and one, I'm not sure is necessary. Distance on the sprinkler heads is good enough for me.

Of course, I'm getting ever closer to joining JR on the senior tour, so I just may not be able to truly appreciate all this newfangled technology....

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't even bother with the yardage until I'm inside of 200 yards. Then, from 150 in, I can pretty much figure it out for myself, and a rough estimate will do. No need for a GPS.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I want to go golfing with BYM. He understands me.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My bet for single defining situation where slow play originates:

Duffer/hack on 375-400 yd par 4 hits either (a) smother hook left or (b) banana slice right about 170; leaving 200-225 to the green out of deep rough and/or tree obstructions;

now said duffer just demonstrated could not hit over 180 with driver and ball on tee;

nevertheless, Pavlov reaction by 95% of duffers I see is immediately take out 3 wood and try to reach green which leads to more trouble and similar search for near lost ball.

Better golfers understand need to break this situation down to LAYING UP to comfortable wedge distance or punching out to fairway and trying to salvage par or at worst take bogey. Wedge out, move on.

Take your medicine, birdie is out of the question and just try to get back in the fairway. If duffers did this play, 50% of slow play would be eliminated.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Why, that would require golfers to actually you know, think and apply this wonderfully strange concept called "course management."

Most rec golfers are of the caveman variety: see ball, hit ball as far and as hard as I can, find ball, hit ball as far as I can again. Rinse and repeat 6-7X.

Then, because they're playing from the tips -- where they have no business playing from (see my earlier post and Alma's) -- they wonder why they can't break 105.

Someone wiser than me once said, "You can't fix stupidity." It's relentless.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Let's do a round.

I'll bring my mashie, my niblick, my mashie-niblick, my baffle, my spoon and my brassie.

Not to threadjack, but aren't there geeks who play with the old hickory clubs as kinda historical recreations?

9. Bingo.

I absolutely detest slow play, so I avoid playing on the weekends. My city is blessed with a lot of good, affordable golf courses. I can play midweek, midafternoon and finish 18 holes walking in 2 1/2-3 hours.

Golf isn't supposed to be an all-day endeavor.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

You bring the beer. I'll bring the cigars. I'm always looking for conversation in between sliced drives.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Which is why golf is seeing a slow decline in rounds played in the past few years. If people are too ADD riddled to sit down and read a newsaper there's no way in hell they'll devoted five hours to "playing" golf, which is more watching golf with some of these yutzes. How many times have you holed out only to sit in the cart for the next 10 minutes, watching the threesome in front of you trudge from the tee box to the middle of the fairway. Then you tee off....and spend the NEXT 10 minutes watching them line up, then stand, then practice stroke, then get over, then back away, then practice putt again, then putt....and miss the sumbitch by 10 feet. Then after a crowd pleasing 10 on the hole, he slowly strolls over to get his pitching wedge, and then his golf towel, and then his cigar...all the while knowing damn well your 135 away.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In part, I don't necessarily blame newcomers to the game. They watch the game on TV, see the preparation that goes into each shot, and figure they should do it, too. They see pros mark each putt, and they figure they should do it, too. They see the endless practice strokes, and they figure they should do it, too.

Pros are pros; pros also grew up on country clubs, which don't get near the traffic of a public course. I went out to a semi-private joint yesterday at 2:00 in the afternoon to practice…lots of guys on the range, about seven people on the actual course. A foursome of 18-year-olds rolled in after 18…and rolled right out to play another 18. Country clubs are sleepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted