1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow cooker purchase

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 8, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is that good minus the artichoke hearts? I hate artichoke hearts, but the rest sounds good.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Nope, without the artichoke hearts it tastes like poodle vomit.

(Um, yeah, I'm guessing it would still be delicious without the artichoke hearts, since they have little flavor that cooks off into a dish.)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spup, it's just a stew. You could add or subtract anything you wanted to. I'd be inclined to add rosemary along with the oregano and some root vegetables i.e. carrots, turnip, parsnips, etc.

We have two cookers.

4. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

I love my crock pot, but the husband thinks it's a fire hazard to leave it plugged in and turned on when we leave the house. He turned it off one day when I was trying to cook dinner. That was quite a surprise when I came home!

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Your husband wears panties.

Crock pots and slow cookers are meant to be, y'know, left turned on so whatever's inside will cook slo-o-o-w-w-l-l-y-y.

Shouldn't the artichoke hearts go in toward the end? Don't they cook into mush?

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The recipes I've seen say that they do.

7. This scares the bejeezus out of me, too. I like to do it when one of us is home ... plus, you're there to enjoy the way the house smells ...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My crock pot is a staple of my life. It gets fired up every weekend, usually with some kind of really spicy, kidney bean, corn, peppers, onions, garlc, tomato chili. I also do something with eggplant and tomatoes. Get the removable bowl. It is really easy to clean. I had an old one that was small and it did crack. I am not sure what caused it, but it would leak. My new one was cheaper and is twice the size and has held up fantastically. No cracking, easy to clean, and I have created some kick-ass concoctions in it. I make a lot, refrigerate and the stuff thickens after a few days and only gets better. If you are making a chili, you can prepare 4 or 5 crock fulls, and freeze the excess and then defrost and crock it when you are ready. It's useful because I add so much stuff and there is a ton of cutting of vegetables (I do it as a vegetarian chili; no added fat).

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Does he also unplug your TV, computer & clock radio when you go out?

. Because it's about the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted