1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"sloppy seconds"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by starrman, Dec 3, 2008.

1. starrman

starrman New Member

Caught my eye that the AP story on Sean Avery chose to censor his language:

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," he said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

I assumed the phrase he used was something obscene, but just saw the clip on ESPN and he referred to the former girlfriends as "sloppy seconds".

Ignoring the obvious poor taste of the statement, it strikes me that "sloppy seconds" isn't necessarily "unprintable" language. Before seeing the clip, I had just assume that the words Avery actually used were something, well, worse.

Any thoughts?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I agree. The other threads have tangentially hit on this, both on AG and on S&N...but this phrase didn't even remotely offend me.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The question I'm curious about is: If you didn't think the phrase in question was offensive, and knew what was said from seeing the tape online or on SportsCenter, would you alter the copy to reflect what was actually said, and take out the bracketed '[former girlfriends]'.

Would it be permissible to alter an AP story like that?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You can alter an AP story with brackets, yes. Depending on your paper's style.

I just don't really understand why you would.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We have starrman and starman now?

6. starrman is sloppy seconds

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well to put in what he actually said, and remove the bracketed portion of the quote.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If you think of the origin of the phrase sloppy seconds ... think about that word "sloppy" for a second ... it really is too offensive for a mainstream newspaper.

Maybe colloquially it has come to take on a more benign meaning, but taken literally, it is too offensive for print.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was initially surprised finding out what Avery actually said - I figured it was "hos" or "bitches" - but when you think about it - do you really want to have to explain to a kid what he meant by "sloppy seconds"? Better to leave it out, than have to explain why it is derogatory.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe I worked too long for a small, conservative paper in my Southern hometown, but I agree with this. Probably would have taken it out if my writer came back with the quote, for that reason.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I haven't worked for a conservative paper, but I also agree with this.

Sloppy seconds is something I'd use around my peeps, but not something I'd use in print.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There's no way I would let "sloppy seconds" make it into print unless I was told to put it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted