1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sloppy Seconds" - What's the worst an ex (or current) has said about you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 3, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"Too nice" = "not challenging enough"

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That my be the best description I have ever heard for that. Now if I could figure out what "You are not husband material" means?

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Wow, I had a very similar experience. It was actually my fiance at the time, who wasn't quite cheating on me yet, but was progressing to that stage (their first "date" took place a week after we broke it off).

Anyway, I guess to save herself the shame, she told her family and all of our mutual friends that I was abusive and I had hit her. Our mutual friends (which only became mutual friends because she was dating me) didn't talk to me for months afterward. When they realized she was just fucked in the head and I had never in our five years together laid one single finger on her, they apologized and pretty much cast her aside.

She married the guy about a year later, then found out she couldn't have kids. I married a wonderful woman and have two beautiful, healthy kids.

Karma's a bitch.

4. TrooperBari

Rather than succumb to cynicism, I'll just guess that could mean a great many things.

Actually, I've heard (what I believe to be) the inverse — that I'd make a good husband but a lousy boyfriend. Probably means I'm too boring to date.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Precisely, Buck-Dub. And that line get really old.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

bw, just how many girls have you met from far-away lands? ;)

We've discussed that on other threads ... and, honestly, I typically dislike the NHL, but I kinda want to watch loudmouth play. Of course, I don't think the comment was that horrible.

TB, you're correct, at least for my friends and I. As for Ross' inquiry, in my circle it would mean something along the lines of no ambition/drive/passion. Not necessarily that you have to want to be CEO of Microsoft or something, but that you have something you really care about and are interested in life. You know, like buckdub and his crazy ol'school baseball-ness ;D, or one ex who loved his marine biology major (but he wasn't outwardly a sea nerd).

As for the thread, I wouldn't know what my exes have said ... nothing's ever gotten back to me, probably because we didn't have many mutual friends. I've completely lost touch with both of the college ones and, usually, I'm OK with that. (Speaking of sloppy seconds, one of them started sleeping with my roommate shortly after. I just laughed at the whole thing, then happened to get a job out of state and GTFO.)

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just two, dammit. The Internet can be a strange, crazy, wonderful thing.

Thanks! (And lucky for me, I found the girl who actually digs that about me. ... Every other girl is worried if her guy is spending time talking to other chicks. Mine's worried that I'm spending too much time looking up stats on Buck Weaver. :D)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And that night she greeted you wearing only the 1984 Strat-o-Matic set...yowza!

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No kidding, dude. The guy she left me for -- and cheated with while dating me -- ended up dying of a drug overdose. Suddenly, me being "too straight edge" didn't seem like much of a problem.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That same girl told her friends, "Mike's the guy I want to marry. Definitely. But I just don't want to date him right now." That's always nice to here.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'll leave that one Mike

12. TrooperBari

And by the time they are ready to marry, said guy will have become so peculiar and/or quirky from being single so long he's no longer marriage material.

Draft saved Draft deleted